Re: boot stops before startx....

(general response)

I realize this isn't my thread, and the symptoms I experience are partially different from those that Francois is experiencing.  But there is overlap.

I thank everyone who tried to help.  The helpful posts were:
* Robert's: confirmed that the 6.10.x kernels are not yet supported for nvidia.  To keep this short, I'll just say I can only keep one old kernel and not go into the details.  But Robert's confirmation of my suspicion is appreciated.
* Francis's: I now know to watch for nvidia-470xx-kmod-470.256.02-3.fc39.  I hope I understood correctly.  Thank-you.

I agree with Francois's question:
"How can we be sure that a new kernel has the suitable stuff to compile kernel modules?
(before launching dnf upgrade, of course....)"
Once the "dnf upgrade" is done, it's too late; I'm stuck with a very difficult to use kernel+driver.

Robert's comment:
"Assume a delay with NVIDIA drivers on kernel migration. The thing is to keep the working kernel and check https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org until a report that a patch has been made."
The first sentence makes sense.  The problem is I don't know that the kernel is going to update until it's too late: when I run the "dnf upgrade".