Re: OT: UEFI settings for DDR5 RAM

On Mon, 2024-08-19 at 22:02 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> The overclocking options start at 5400, so I don't think that's it. The
> DRAM spec is 5200 and I now have it working at that frequency.

Makes me wonder if the automatic selection is based on some unmentioned
criteria (*lowest* common denominator instead of highest, most stable
workbench testing, temperature ranges, power optimisation, automatic
on-demand speed changes, etc).

I was talking with a friend about PC building, and he now prefers to
have someone else build for him.  His thinking is that they'll know how
to set BIOS settings, take anti-static precautions, etc.  But I'm
fairly certain the average shop knows as much about settings as we do
when we research things on the internet.  I have no faith in shops
taking anti-static precautions.  And when it comes to Windows and
gaming, people try pushing things to the limit (and beyond), thinking
an extra 0.2% speed will actually make a tangible difference.  What
it's most likely to do is affect stability.  And you need a much
greater speed increase for you to notice anything.

I just go with the automatic options, in general.  Very few of the
options are adequately explained anywhere, and very few component
specifications are listed beyond the basic speed parameter.  About the
only options I adjust are quiet fan settings, switching off unnecessary
hardware like floppies and parallel ports (though that's no guarantee
that they are disabled to the system probing hardware to load drivers),
and set boot priorities.  i.e. Things where what you can control are
immediately obvious.

I have come across broken BIOSes before, where setting some innocuous
parameter (like boot floppy before CD-ROM before HDD, instead of CD-ROM
before floppy before HDD), caused it to crash and overwrite some other
settings.  So tweaking is fraught with unpredictability.

The motto is:  The universe is against you, you cannot win.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.119.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Jun 4 14:43:51 UTC 2024 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.