Re: teal(?) messages during boot.

On Wed, 2024-07-24 at 14:08 -0600, home user via users wrote:
> On 7/24/24 9:40 AM, Joe Wulf via users wrote:
>
> > 1.  Look through the output of 'sudo dmesg' or just 'dmesg' when logged in
> > as root.  Another option is to review '/var/log/boot.log', assuming it is
> > accumulating records when the system is booting (check
> > /etc/rsyslog/rsyslog.conf).  'journalctl' might also be a viable option
> > (see man pages for each of these).
>
> I had already looked at both boot.log and the boot log file for today.  No
> hint as to which entries were teal-colored during boot.  dmesg does some
> colorization, but it was different than what I saw during boot.  Likewise
> journalctl.  So I am unable to distinguish messages that I should pay
> attention to.  It might help to know that I am not a sysadmin.
>
> There is no /etc/rsyslog/ directory.  rsyslog.conf is in /etc/.
>
> > In general, I wouldn't know why a 'teal' color is just now appearing for
> > certain boot messages.  However, a few thoughts come to mind:  Your monitor
> > is changing performance, or maybe the graphics card for your system is
> > changing its performance (i.e. degrading)... maybe.  Or something
> > configuration-wise was done locally to your system, or a new RPM package
> > made an untoward adjustment.
>
> Not a monitor issue: everything looks as it should when using the work
> station.
> Not a graphics card issue; same reason.
> I also checked memory (MemTest86+); no hint of trouble.
> I also checked the hard drive with GSmartControl; no hint of trouble.
> I have no real doubt that the teal coloration is deliberate color coding like
> that of "ls", but with a separate or different colorization scheme.
>
> > As for catching the messages visually, consider using your cell and
> > recording the video of the boot cycle and then reviewing it during playback
> > to //maybe// stop the motion and see something which otherwise goes by too
> > fast.  I've done this before and its sometimes valuable, and othertimes the
> > screen clears/scrolls milliseconds after the necessary message.  But, a
> > combination of cellphone video and reviewing dmesg output might bring you
> > very close to seeing messages which are relevant to your issue.
>
> I have neither cell phone nor camcorder nor camera.  I have no way to capture
> the boot screens.
>
> > 2.  Likely your bash user session has 'dircolors' enabled, and especially
> > via aliases configured via ${HOME}/.bashrc.  You can modify that file to
> > suit your tastes (suggest making a backup copy first).
> >
> > R,
> > -Joe
> >
> > On Wednesday, July 24, 2024 at 11:16:21 AM EDT, home user via users
> > <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > (f39 workstation; 6.9.9-100.fc39.x86_64)
> >
> > Since last patching my stand-alone workstation last Thursday (July 18),
> > I've been seeing messages during boot that are colored some strange color
> > between green and blue (I'm calling it "teal"). Other boot message text is
> [...]
Hi,

If it's any help, then I see the same thing - a teal colour for some boot
messages. I just took it as a startup change between Fedora 39 and 40.
(BTW, 'teal' seems a good description of the colour.)

I'll see if I can catch a message or two next time I boot up. The coloured
services are probably going to be found in systemd somewhere.

John.

--
John Horne | Senior Operations Analyst | Technology and Information Services
University of Plymouth | Drake Circus | Plymouth | Devon | PL4 8AA | UK

This email and any files with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the recipient to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient then copying, distribution or other use of the information contained is strictly prohibited and you should not rely on it. If you have received this email in error please let the sender know immediately and delete it from your system(s). Internet emails are not necessarily secure. While we take every care, University of Plymouth accepts no responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan emails and their attachments. University of Plymouth does not accept responsibility for any changes made after it was sent. Nothing in this email or its attachments constitutes an order for goods or services unless accompanied by an official order form.