Re: Anacron question

On Thu, 2024-07-18 at 14:12 +0700, Frederic Muller wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Following up on a old question of mine about daily backup tools I did
> follow the advice and am using borg successfully. So thank you for
> that:
> very easy to setup and works great.
>
> However wanting to do that daily automatically from my laptop to a
> local
> network drive I looked for a way to start the backup like 10 minutes
> after I switched on the PC and only once a day which led me to
> anacron.
>
> Installed it, set up the anacron job and the problems arrived.
> Initially
> tried to run it as my user but that didn't work.
>
> @daily  10      daily-backup    su fred -c
> "/home/fred/dao2/tech/daily.sh"
>
> Simplified the command to run as root but that also didn't work. It
> seems anacron doesn't run.
>
> @daily  10      daily-backup    /home/fred/dao2/tech/daily.sh
>

> Finally found one or two post saying you can add a cron job that runs
> hourly and launch the anacron tasks.
>
> I have this in my user crontab:
>
> @hourly /usr/sbin/anacron -s -t $HOME/.anacron/etc/anacrontab -S
> $HOME/.anacron/spool
>
> This unfortunately get the task run randomly and definitely not once
> per
> day. I sometimes get it to run 3 or 4 times in the same day while
> sometimes I feel it's does not run and so I run it manually.
>
> So my question is how do I get anacron "fixed" and running once
> daily?

Anacron probably isn't the right tool for this, since you don't want to
run the backup at a fixed time but "10 minutes after I switch on the PC
and only once per day". Unless you always switch on the PC at the same
time, you may be better triggering the job at boot time. You can
trigger something at boot by using the "@reboot" keyword (crontab(5)).
You'll want to run a script that a) checks if backup has already run,
and b) waits 10 minutes before running it. You can check if it has run
by adding a hook to your backup script that just logs the last time it
finished successfully.

BTW, I recommend using borgmatic for regular borg runs, but you still
have to take care of the timing yourself.

poc