Re: OT: motherboard

On 7/11/24 06:32, Thomas Cameron wrote:
On 7/10/24 11:59 PM, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
Hi All,

Anyone have a favorite uATX motherboard that
supports ECC and is Fedora 40 friendly?

Hey, Todd -

Depends on what you're doing. I have a homelab with a bunch of older Proliant servers I use for education and testing. Speed is not a huge requirement, I just use them for virtualization and learning. You can get older servers (Gen 9 and Gen 10) pretty cheap from eBay and ServerMonkey.com and SaveMyServer.com. I've had fantastic luck from ServerMonkey and SaveMyServer. Good warranty, excellent customer service, etc. I'm not affiliated with them, just a happy customer.

If you're looking for a new server class machine, as Richard mentioned, ASUS has a good motherboard selection. I've been happy with very Gigabyte in the past, but I've heard rumblings that their quality may have lowered lately. I don't personally have any evidence of that, it's just something I saw someone mention in a forum and some folks chimed in in agreement.

Can you tell us more about what it is you're trying to accomplish? It'd be easier to make recommendations based on budget, machine role, etc.

I am are upgrading my office workstation.  It is a bit of a work
horse with qemu-kvm virtual machines out the wazoo, so I can
upport my various customer's OS'es.  I do no gaming.

I am a fan of Intel CPU and not AMD.  I am also a fan of ECC.

ASUS is almost impossible to get any presales support.  Their
two phone numbers either hand up on yo or go to answering
machine.  Their contact forms won't allow gmail or ]zoho mail.
They require you give them you gmail logon password and ID to
use their support forum.  Yikes.

Sup[ermicro blocks zoho and gmail too.  But I
have not tried the phone numbers yet,  They use
to work.

And I kicked gigabytes ass out of my business when their
support refused to honor a warranty on a motherboard
because I  ordered from Amazon.