Re: Fedora F40 Won't Power Off

On 21/6/24 08:44, Stephen Morris wrote:
On 21/6/24 08:17, Stephen Morris wrote:
On 20/6/24 18:51, Barry wrote:

On 20 Jun 2024, at 09:43, Stephen Morris <samorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

there was nothing stopping the system from shutting down, so I'm at a loss at the moment to work out what is preventing shutdown from the KDE throbber.
An experiment you could try is to login on a console and run halt -p.
That will eliminate most of the gui stack.

Does that work? If not it maybe that the kernel cannot do the final power off.
Which would be a regression as you had this working in the past.
To login to a console, is that logging in to the gdm prompt for credentials to start up KDE and then using ctrl+alt+F2 to switch to a console and logging in from there rather than actually starting KDE, or is something else required?
I booted the machine to the gdm login prompt and then used ctrl+alt+F2 to switch to a console and logged in there. When I issue "halt -p" the machine shuts down straight away, as it does if from within KDE if I start "Konsole" and from there issue "shutdown now" or "systemctl poweroff". From the KDE throbber "Restart" has the same issue as "shutdown", is it possible that for some reason those processes are not actually not actually doing a "restart" or "shutdown"?
Just some further info on this, I tried a logout from the KDE throbber instead of shutdown or restart and that has the same issue, it goes to a black screen and doesn't go any further. While at the black screen, unlike from gdm, ctrl+alt+F2 did nothing, I had to use ctrl+alt+F3 to switch to a console. Logging in from that console when I issued halt -p that did a graphical shutdown and powered the machine off, doing the same thing from gdm does a non-graphical shutdown. I also tried logging into KDE with Wayland rather than Xorg, and a shutdown from the KDE throbber seemed to actually power of the machine after several minutes (The machine had powered off after returning from making a cup of coffee). I also tried to login to Gnome with Xorg instead of KDE, and a shutdown from Gnome powered the machine off, so it definitely looks like the issue is KDE. I might have to do some more tests to determine if Xorg is impacting the issue, but if it was Xorg I would have expected the issue to occur under Gnome as well. What I also haven't tested yet is whether, like in earlier versions of Fedora, I'm now getting an issue with KDE being able to function properly with gdm.

regards,
Steve

regards,
Steve