Re: number of lines on console

On Thu, Jun 6, 2024 at 2:11 PM Samuel Sieb <samuel@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The problem is that when it is booting,
> the latest console messages are off the bottom of the screen so that I
> can't see what it's doing (this is on a standard 1920x1080 HD monitor in
> this case). If the boot hangs, then of course the last few messages are
> the crucial ones to see.

That shouldn't be possible.  The number of lines is directly related to
the screen resolution.  The only way I can see this happening is if it
thinks there's another monitor attached with a higher resolution.  Do
you see any information about the display resolution in the logs?

This is likely the problem. The machine I'm working on is a laptop that has a 4K screen. The lid is closed so the 4K screen is not actually being used, and the laptop is connected to the monitor through a dock, and this is where I see the boot messages. I do this when doing console work because when the system boots on the 4K screen, the type face is too small for this old geezer to read.

So I have verified that if I boot the Fedora USB stick on my desktop using the same monitor, the problem does not occur, and if I boot the stick on the laptop without the dock and with the lid open, aside from the fact that the text is too small to read on the 4K screen, the problem does not occur. When I boot this laptop from its own native OS rather than from the stick, I have kernel command line parameters (vconsole.font=latarcyrheb-sun32.psfu.gz SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun32.psfu.gz) that make the booting text larger so I can read it, and the problem also does not occur.  It also makes the font larger that appears on the text consoles. This is not so great for booting from the stick though; I have a hard time entering these parameters correctly when editing a GRUB entry when I cannot check what I am typing. I also tried playing games with video= values, and it works while boot messages are printing, but once the login prompt comes up, the font is tiny again. I suppose there must be a solution to this somewhere but I have already spent  enough time on it. I was just hoping to learn a little something about the boot process.

--Greg