Re: RAID options during install?

Hi,

>> - Can (should?) I put /boot/efi on RAID5? It lets me choose the option,
>> but then complains and wants it on RAID1. Does it set up RAID1 with a
>> failover?
>
> I was thinking about this thread and just started a test. My thinking was that /boot/efi is small and thus raid 1 made the most sense. It let me select 3 disks and the install (under VirtualBox) is going on right now. Note that raid 1 is not limited to just two disks/partitions, it can make multi disk mirror sets. Most people don't really think about that since you don't get the size advantages of raid 5.

I’m not sure it matters. I’m not aware of any hardware that would be capable of detecting a failed drive in a software RAID when the EFI firmware launches the bootloader.

Most likely setting up RAID1 and then adding a separate EFI boot entry for each part of the array would get you the closest to redundancy. But it would still only be looking at the fat32 filesystem on each device.

Most importantly, will it utilize the other boot records if the first one is unavailable?

I'm old enough to remember when we had to install manually in order to do this.

I ultimately was able to get fedora40 installed. The "Preparing transaction from installation source" message was apparently due to the RAID5 being rebuilt and consuming all available I/O. I waited it out and looked at /proc/mdstat and saw it was rebuilding at 200MB/sec, so it just took a while, thankfully.

There's definitely something wonky going on with the OVH IPMI, java, and even their HTML5 interface. I would hate to be in a position where I need to rebuild/recover this system quickly. Even upload speed was abysmal.

Thanks,
Alex