Re: RAID options during install?

> Am 01.06.2024 um 04:12 schrieb Alex <mysqlstudent@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
> Hi,
> I'm trying to install fedora40 server on a server with 3x4TB disks and I don't understand how the RAID options work. I'm familiar with RAID and how it works, but it's been quite some time since I've used the fedora installer, and it appears to have changed.
>
> How do I create a RAID5 array from the three disks? It appears like it's not possible to create the three partitions on each device separately?

We have some documentation about RAID installation.

- Fedora Server Installation Guide
  https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fedora-server/installation/

- Fedora Server interactive local installation -> Raid configuration
  https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fedora-server/installation/interactive-local/#_raid_configuration

- Fedora on Rented Server – The Example of Hetzner Data Center
  https://docs.stg.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fedora-server/tutorials/hetzner-dc/

Unfortunately due to a technical issue I lost most of the text parts in the latter. But the remaining screenshots may offer enough guidance. Additionally, I can send you my original documentation that I wrote for Hetzner (for F33, but it basically didn’t change much) by e-mail if you like.

Basically You use the „Destination“ step in the GUI and select all 3 disks. Then you have 2 options:

(a)
Select custom installation

Here you don’t work with partitioning but with mount points and file systems. Anaconda does the partitioning for you. E.g. you add a root file system on a LVM logical volume and select RAID 3 as basis. Anaconda creates the three partition and the raid, creates the Volume Group and the logical volume.

You can find a detailed description of the work steps in
Issue #89 Software Raid on a UEFI system using GPT partitioning scheme
https://pagure.io/fedora-server/issue/89
Issue #87 Software Raid on a BiosBoot system using GPT partitioning scheme
https://pagure.io/fedora-server/issue/87

This option is quite comfortable. One disadvantage is that Anaconda mixes up the order of the partitions on the disk during installation.  Everything works, but this may make it difficult to adjust the partitioning later.

(b)
Select Advanced custom (blivet GUI)

Here you do the partitioning, creation of Raid, creation of LVM VG and creation of LVs in a GUI all by yourself. It is quite low level and you have to do every single step.

My Hetzner documentation describes this path. The advantage is that you can define the partitioning exactly, but it is quite detailed and quite tedious.

> I'd also like to create a 3GB swap partition on each disk, but it also appears to not be possible with this installer?

With both method you can add a swap partion. In Custom you find swap as a „special mount point“. In Advanced custom you can add a partition or logical volume and „format“ it as swap.

But mind you, in these days and the default memory equipment, a swap partition is no longer necessary nor useful in most cases.

--
Peter Boy
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pboy

Timezone: CET (UTC+1) / CEST (UTC+2)

Fedora Server Edition Working Group member
Fedora Docs team contributor and board member
Java developer and enthusiast