Re: /boot too small

On Wed, May 15, 2024 at 1:29 AM richard emberson
<emberson.rich@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Poking about I see that the default workstation disk layout:
>    https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/workstation-docs/disk-config/
> has /boot on a ext4 partition and everything else on btrfs.
> Also, the replacement for Anaconda will not happen until Fedora 41:
>    https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?332111-Fedora-40-will-remain-with-existing-anaconda
>
> So, are you saying that with Fedora 41, it will be the default for the /boot partition to use btrfs?
> Or, is this something that works for you?

It is something that works for me.

Back when I started poking around BTRFS, going from person to person,
asking tons of questions of what would or would not be possible, which
resulted in un-clogging the pipes that blocked widespread BTRFS
adoption in Fedora, the full system on BTRFS layout was what I was
suggesting.
I'm so glad people were willing to adopt BTRFS (both Fedora developers
allowing that and actually making that happen; and the users alike),
but I feel like the job is half-done.

The biggest obstacle of any change to the default FS layouts is - in
my opinion - GRUB.
The GRUB configuration can be so clean, brief and nice, even for very
complicated setups - when you tailor it exactly to your needs.
However making auto-generated configurations that would work for
everyone, covering most possible configurations is an entirely
different thing - which GRUB doesn't handle well IMO.

Sorrows of dual booting and similar themes are common on
discussion.fedoraproject.org.
Even though I see the BTRFS adoption in Fedora as quite a success.

--

Michal Schorm
Software Engineer