Re: Fedora 39 python3-pygame Module Issue

On Thu, Mar 21, 2024 at 6:07 PM Samuel Sieb <samuel@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Not all recent CPUs have AVX, only some CPUs I believe.
> >> Therefore the preference for detect at runtime.
> > I can understand the runtime detection, but why is pygame, presumably
> > with its support for vectors, not compiled to use AVX if available. The
> > math module doesn't produce the message, even though AVX can be used
> > with integer manipulations, does that mean it has been compiled with AVX
> > support or is it not checking for support?
> > With, in this case, the pygame module having been installed from the
> > Fedora repositories and producing this issue, does that mean I shouldn't
> > install the modules from the Fedora repositories, I should use pip3 to
> > install the modules as they may be compiled with AVX support?
> > The message I got indicated that my cpu supports AVX2, how do I
> > determine if it supports AVX512?
>
> The message is about AVX2, not AVX.  The computer I'm currently using is
> an Intel Xeon from 2019 or maybe a bit earlier.  It has AVX, but not any
> of the higher ones.

It is common to see manufacturers of low-end tablets and pc's buying
cpu's from Intel that only have SSE2-SSE4.1+AES+RDRAND enabled. I
encounter them regularly in low-end netbooks. The cpu's probably have
higher ISAs, they just are not enabled.

Intel will also de-clock or slow down the cpu for the price point. I
was talking to David Johnson, who designed Intel's RDRAND circuit. He
told me intel can tune about 100 different parameters to vary cpu
features and speeds for a particular price point.

> You can look in /proc/cpuinfo to see the flags, or install "cpuid" to
> get very detailed information.

Jeff