Re: Which scanner/copier do you use with Fedora?

On 22/3/24 08:36, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Dave Ihnat writes:

But with the talk of using HP AiOs, I had to pipe up. I have advised all my clients to no longer buy HP printers of any type, including the AiOs, and will personally never buy another HP printer until and unless they back off
their current policies and practices.

I believe that the policies and practices described here are for HP's inkjets.

Their reputation definitely precedes them.

HP's laser printers had a little bit bit rep. I've had much better luck, historically, with HP's laser printers than with other brands. The one I'm currently wrangling with is a laser.

I keep reading good things said about Brother scanners/all-in-ones. Reading into details, it's always one of two things. It also involves a driver download, like hplip's modus operandi, and it's not really an out of the box solution. Alternatively, the alleged printer model is nowhere to be found in xsane's hardware database. So, it's basically pot luck: buy it, and hope that it works.

Anyway, I think I managed to get this HP to work over Ethernet. With a direct USB connection xsane is still erroring out. But Ethernet seems to be working.

But now they have. Take a look at:

Yes, and looks like they're starting to push this onto the laser printers too, as I see from the packaging and the marketing material on this laser.
I have an Epson ET3700 All_in_one printer/scanner connected as a network device on my router via ethernet (it supports wifi but where it is situated it can see a wifi signal. I'm also using the 80211AX protocol on my router). Epson have a driver for the printer but I don't use it, I use the headerless driver from cups. I use simple document scanner for scanning and looking at the KDE Throbber I don't appear to have either Sane or Xsane installed on F39. The one issue I do have with Simple Scanner is on start up it doesn't see the scanner, I have to refresh its detection for it to see the device.

regards,
Steve