Re: How to turn grub2-install from sad to happy.

Samuel Sieb writes:

On 3/19/24 16:50, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Samuel Sieb writes:

On 3/19/24 16:05, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
I noticed that there was a grub2 update.

 From prior experience I know that one needs to manually run grub2-install to actually update the bootloader. Additionally I run mdraid, so I need the bootloader on both /dev/sda and /dev/sdb.

[root@jack ~]# grub2-install /dev/sda
Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
grub2-install: error: This utility should not be used for EFI platforms because it does not support UEFI Secure Boot. If you really wish to proceed, invoke the --force option.
Make sure Secure Boot is disabled before proceeding.

If you have an EFI system, you normally don't do anything.
Is the EFI partition part of the RAID?

Yes, /boot/efi is a RAID partition.

/dev/md123 on /boot/efi type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0077,dmask=0077,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=winnt,errors=remount- ro)

Which is /dev/sda4 and /dev/sdb4

Both the bootloader and /boot/efi is raided across two disks, so if one fails the other one can still be used to boot. This actually happened on another system with me, last year. I just popped out the failed HD, popped in another one, booted off the functional drive, and reassembled all the raid partitions.

Then there's nothing you need to do.  grub has been updated.

But what do you mean by the "bootloader" though?

Well, what actually loads grub and runs it. On my other, BIOS system, the one that I replaced a failed disk, recently – after I reassembled and resynced all RAID partitions, I ran grub2-install and I'm fairly certain there was a definitive change in grub's behavior, afterwards. Originally three periods were initially shown, for a few seconds, before the grub menu opened. I have a recollection that the number of periods is a diagnostic indications what went wrong if grub fails to start for some reason. This changed to a "Welcome to grub" banner.

So, it looks to me like years of regular grub updates, and countless Fedora releases, did not really end up updating …everything, on a BIOS system.