Re: imminent /boot problem.

On Sun, Feb 25, 2024 at 11:29 AM Tim via users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'd like to run the few WiFi controlled lights I have locally

(The rest of this has nothing directly to do with Fedora)

I do this with Phillips Hue lights and Home Assistant. The Hue integration in Home Assistant communicates directly with the API on the Hue bridge, so the lights can be controlled without the cloud.  The lights don't actually use WiFi, they communicate with the Hue bridge directly (using a wireless protocol but not IP). There is a pre-made Raspberry Pi 4 image for Home Assistant that works quite well. It might be overkill to set up Home Assistant just for a few lights, but I use it for a number of other devices as well (some of which do require the cloud, but I chose to use it knowing that). Home Assistant also has programmable automations so I can do things like turn on the porch light at sunset and so forth. There is a Home Assistant phone app, but it also can be configured via a web browser so you don't HAVE to use the phone app.

 And I've heard tales of ambulances coming
to someone's rescue, and being unable to switch the lights on.

The Hue bulbs I have can be operated by the normal light switch. When automating, the switch is on all the time, but turning the switch off and back on makes the light come on full power, and then switching it off again of course turns it off. Of course the automations no longer work if the light has been powered off, but this isn't going to be a great concern if it was powered off by a paramedic coming to the house :-)  In fact the worst problem is if there is a power outage, when power is restored all the Hue lights come on. Power outages are quite rare here, and if there is one, I can turn the lights off again remotely using Home Assistant.

Lightbulbs are relatively safe, in the grand scheme of things.

I think the chances of the relatively low power Hue bulbs being the cause of a fire are quite remote.

--Greg