Re: tigervnc server configuration limitation

On 24 Feb 2024 at 10:10, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

From:	Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:	Fedora Users List <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:	tigervnc server configuration limitation
Date sent:	Sat, 24 Feb 2024 10:10:42 -0500
Send reply to:	Community support for Fedora users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I'm not sure when Fedora switched to the current tigervnc systemd-based
> configuration, but:
>
> I've been using tigervnc to log in to an Ubuntu box, and it was simple to
> set up tigervnc on Ubuntu for remote access. I just tried the same on Fedora
> and was informed that launching vncserver was "deprecated", and pointed
> towards the documentation for Fefora's systemd-based configuration.
>
> Reading through that, the following limitation is a showstopper for me:
>
> # # Limitations
> # You will not be able to start a Tigervnc server for a user who is already
> # logged into a graphical session.
>
> That's a no-go for me. My Fedora system is configured to automatically log
> into a graphical desktop. This won't work for me, then.

Not sure on the latest version of tigervnc on Fedora, for a while I
was able to have it work, but had to change the configuration to
have the vnc use XFCE (heard others had used mate or other) but
the wayland/gnome 3 definitely do not allow for dual user sessions
local/vnc.

I eventually moved to using turbovnc.
https://turbovnc.org/
It installs in /opt/TurboVNC/ with the programs in bin subdirectory.

Configuration is done via /etc/sysconfig/tvncserver
Note change port number to xx and changed user id to userid.
Would need to select your userid and the port want to use.
5900+xx

One thing. I create a link to the vncviewer since it doesn't place
file in /usr/bin
/usr/bin/vncviewer -> /opt/TurboVNC/bin/vncviewer
I do have it set to use -wm xfce, so would need to install the xfce
group, or whatever desktop manager you want.
If nothing else an option that might work for you.

# The VNCSERVERS variable is a list of display:user pairs,
separated by
# spaces.
#
# Uncomment the first line below to start a TurboVNC session
under the account
# 'myusername' (adjust this to your own username) and listening
on Display :1.
# You will also need to configure a VNC password (run
# 'man -M {TurboVNC_directory}/man vncpasswd' for
instructions) or another form
# of authentication.  See the TurboVNC User's Guide for more
information about
# the authentication methods available in TurboVNC.  If you
intend to connect
# to the TurboVNC session over an untrusted network, then it is
strongly
# recommended that you configure the session to require TLS or
SSH encryption.
# Refer to the TurboVNC User's Guide and the Xvnc man page
# ('man -M {TurboVNC_directory}/man Xvnc') for more
information.  Set the
# VNCSERVERARGS[n] variable in order to specify arguments that
should be passed
# to vncserver when creating the TurboVNC session for Display :n.
Refer to
# the TurboVNC Server man pages ('man -M
{TurboVNC_directory}/man vncserver'
# and 'man -M {TurboVNC_directory}/man Xvnc') for a list of
possible arguments.

# VNCSERVERS="1:myusername"
# VNCSERVERARGS[1]=""
VNCSERVERS="xx:userid"
VNCSERVERARGS[xx]="-wm xfce -geometry 1600x845"

It does create a systemd thing??

systemctl status tvncserver
● tvncserver.service - LSB: Starts and stops the TurboVNC Server
     Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/tvncserver; generated)
    Drop-In: /usr/lib/systemd/system/service.d
             └─10-timeout-abort.conf
     Active: active (exited) since Thu 2024-02-22 15:51:40 ChST; 2 days ago
       Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
        CPU: 36ms

> This is not a limitation on Ubuntu. It's too bad that Fedora cannot do the
> same.

 Michael D. Setzer II - Computer Science Instructor (Retired)
 mailto:mikes@xxxxxxxx
 mailto:msetzerii@xxxxxxxxx
 mailto:msetzerii@xxxxxxx
 Guam - Where America's Day Begins