Re: Replacing and mirroring boot drive

On 29 Dec 2023, at 09:02, Javier Perez <pepebuho@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Here come my questions.
1. Can I move everything on the SSD to a new SSD with everything under btrfs? From what I have been reading it seems like /boot/efi still needs to be on a vfat partition, but /boot could be moved into btrfs. Would it still need a different partition or can it live within the same partition with the / filesystem?
2. I understand from what I have been reading that btrfs has Raid1 capabilities therefore I could add the second drive and from btrfs add it to the partition as a mirror. But if vfat has to exist for the /boot/efi, how am I supposed to mirror it?
I have read some articles but they seem kind of old (more than 3 years) and it seems like the way Fedora does it is not a standard way. I'd rather not have to use a hardware RAID controller.

I would appreciate your insights.

I would install Fedora freshly on the new SSD then copy any config and data files from the old SSD over.
You can get a list of all the packages you have installed using rpm -qa.
Save that list so that you know what you want to add back in to the new system.
(You can diff the old rpm list against the new old to spot omissions)

When installing on the new SSD remove the old one from the system to avoid the installing use the old SSD's /boot/efi.
Once you can boot off the new SSD then put the old one back into the system so that you can copy config and data over.
Be careful when updating /etc that you do not break the new system. You can diff config files to check what the changes
would be.

That will give you the a correctly configured SSD for booting the system and a new file system for the rest.

Were you thinking to use RAID1 to copy the old SSD on to the new SSD? That will not work.
Mirroring works at the block level and you cannot mirror ext4 onto btrfs.

Also as you observed the EFI partition must be FAT so that the UEFI BIOS can boot the system.
I have used BIOS RAID to mirror the EFI boot partition in the past. Not needed to do that for a while.

Barry