Re: Machine locks on reboot from suspend

Once upon a time, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> I got the impression that only laptops seem to have reasonably well
> working suspend, and suspect that little effort is put into designing
> and testing desktops to suspend well.  That may have improved with
> increasing demands for so-called green technology.  But, in the past
> suspending was dire.  And I don't recall people really wanting to
> suspend desktops.  Certainly the windows fraternity was forever
> rebooting, and used to the idea that lots of things just don't work.

I've been suspending my desktops for years with very little trouble.  My
only recent annoyance is that my current video card (Radeon RX570) trips
something in the kernel to cause it to take 10 seconds to resume (tried
to bisect but the issue popped up in the middle of an unrelated issue
that broke it completely, so never resolved).  And every once in a while
(like maybe every couple of months of daily suspend/resume), the
atlantic driver for my 10G NIC craps out.

> Certain suspend modes require a suitable power supply, too.  They don't
> switch off fully, some power circuits are required to stay up, and
> supply sufficient current to the motherboard.  It also requires all the
> hardware to support suspending, some will not wake up, or wake up in a
> scrambled mode requiring some kind of software reset to be done.  And
> the drivers have to support it too, especially if the hardware requires
> resetting during wake.

This is all 100% standardized, not some magic extra bits as you seem to
imply.  And for the most part, outside of hardware only found in servers
(e.g. SAS cards and high-speed NICs), the chips and drivers for notebook
and desktop hardware are the same.

IIRC Windows 11 defaults to suspending after a relatively brief idle
time now (as does Fedora desktop), so that computer vendors can meet
"green" power requirements.  This means that virtually all normal
desktop hardware is expected to fully handle suspend/resume.

--
Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>