Re: Modern Dual-Boot Setup Prcoedure (Dell XPS)

On 12/2/23 15:48, Tim Evans wrote:
Brand New Dell XPS 15 coming tomorrow, to replace my venerable Lenovo T530.  (Looking forward to something a little lighter to lug around.)

It's been 10 years since I set the T530 up to dual-boot Fedora and Windows.

I'm sure I can figure out how to reduce the size of the Windows partition to make space for Fedora, but am unsure of the process for current PC BIOS and grub setup for dual boot. Or is the Fedora installer smart enough to handle it for me?

Are there docs for this?  Thanks.

Closing the loop on this. Thanks to everyone who replied. This turned out to be fairly simple, and everyone who replied had something good to add.

Process is pretty straightforward:

On Windows:

o Disable Fast Boot (Control Panel->Hardware and Sound->Power Options->System Settings). This makes it easier for you to get into the PC's BIOS, although I had no trouble on the Dell XPS.

o Shrink the size of the PC's C: drive (assuming you have just one drive). Use the Window Disk Management app.

o Download the Fedora ISO and burn it to a thumb drive using MediaWriter or another similar tool like 'Rufus.' Be sure the set the "Target System" to "BIOS or UEFI" and the partion scheme to "MBR."

o Go into the PC BIOS and disable "Secure Boot." (Apparently, there is a workaround that allows you to skip this, but I didn't explore it.)

o While in the BIOS, change the boot device order to put your thumb drive first (I had the thumb drive inserted when I went into the BIOS and it offered it as a boot choice--again, this was Dell's BIOS, so YMMV.

Once this is done, reboot the PC with the bootable thumb drive in place and install Fedora. (I walked through the manaul partition screens to make sure the Windows install wouldn't be touched, but could have just accepted all the defaults, as it Just Worked.

As noted, all of these items were mentioned by one or another of you in your replies; thanks, again.

I did find a number of online doc's for dual booting, as well as several You-Tube video tutorials. The one I followd most closely was at: https://www.techhut.tv/how-to-dual-boot-fedora-and-windows-11/