Re: vlc alternative?

Tim:
>> If you open VLC's media information window (in the tools menu),
>> when it is connected, does it give you any useful info about the
>> stream it's currently playing?

Alex:
> It just displays "udp://127.0.0.1:5000" in the Title.

You'd need to look in the *location* box, that'd show the URL that VLC
is working with. The *title* is just the name it wants you to see, it
can be set differently. Though may just be the same as the address.

UDP, unless there's more than one thing with the same name, is just a
very basic part of TCP/IP data transmissions. There needs to be a
handling protocol for what you're doing (which could use UDP or TCP for
the actual data transmission).

e.g. Web pages are viewed using HTTP over TCP. HTTP is how you request
what you want, and how it's handled in sending it to you. The data
packets are TCP transmissions.

If I watch a video stream (from something else) on VLC, I see something
like this in the location gadget: rtsp://frontdoor:554/ch01/1/

 * rtsp is a streaming protocol (real time streaming protocol) which
   could use UDP or TCP, but video streaming tends to use UDP.  With
   UDP, data is just streamed at it, and any transmission losses are
   ignored presuming that you can put up with a tiny blip between data,
   missing data, more data, more data, bits missing, more data, etc.
   TCP has more integrity, and reassembles the chunks of data in the
   correct order, but can be a problem if the stream loses chunks - it
   needs some other way to skip past it and just keep on going.
 * frontdoor is the hostname for a particular device
 * 554 is the port
 * And the other two /ch01/1/ URL parts are the request for a
   particular datastream from the device

I suspect you're going to strike another problem. Whatever viewer they
use not only has to decode and display the stream, but give you some
way to select what you want to watch. Unless you have some remote
control device that directly controls their box, I don't know how you'd
select one program from another.

Some developer info gives some clues:
https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/http_api

Which suggests some sort of webpage interface. I'm guessing some kind
of menu, you choose your program to watch, it'll come back on a
specific URL that'll open in your viewing program. Maybe they've
created their own mimetype, just called it udp.

Another page talks about RTP:
https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/hdhomerun_config
-- NB: All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted. I
will only get to see the messages that are posted to the list. The
following system info data is generated fresh for each post: uname -
rsvp Linux 6.2.15-100.fc36.x86_64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu May 11
16:51:53 UTC 2023 x86_64