Re: NFS Mount Point Write Failure

On Thu, 2023-11-30 at 07:01 -0600, Roger Heflin wrote:
> That being said, I don't know that users and/or owner options *WORK*
> for network disks.   Those options likely do not also work as any disk
> that has actual owners info stored on them.  They are usually used
> with dos/fat/fat32 type fses tha do not have any user info on the
> disks/files.

That will depend on the disk's filing system.  Various network storage
devices are actually using Linux, with an ext filing system, so file
permissions *can* be just the same on the NAS as your local storage.

* This depends on how they handle things.  Traffic can be filtered, and
everything loses individual ownership and gets assigned basic read and
write permissions.

I have one NAS that wants to do that.  Changes everything to owned by
root or nobody, with world-wide read and write permissions, only trying
to impose ownership restrictions through how you log in.  It seems like
their way of handling the conflicting mess of Windows/Mac/Linux usage
on the same device.

For old-school NFS, you need to be the same user on the NAS as the
local system.  This isn't the user name, but your user ID number.

[tim@fluffy tv-series]$ ls -l porridge
-rw-rw-r--. 1 tim tim 0 Jan  7  2016 porridge

[tim@fluffy tv-series]$ ls -n porridge
-rw-rw-r--. 1 1000 1000 0 Jan  7  2016 porridge

You can see on these listings that I am user number 1000, and also the
same for the group name and number.

It is possible for there to be username translation, so user tim on the
NAS is user tim locally, even if the user numbers don't match.  But
that's an extra service that I've never bothered with researching
deeply.  I think it requires both sides to have the feature, and that's
not always going to be the case.  Whereas I can easily set up users
with the desired user numbers.

Stephen's original info snippet:  192.168.1.12:/mnt/HD/HD_a2 is the
same as one of my Western Digital (so-called) My Cloud NASs (it doesn't
appear to have any features that are actually "cloud" services).

It does support NFS, though required some jiggery pokery to switch it
on, and the option switch disappeared during some update.  It does
support Linux user names, ownership, and file permissions.  But it
would periodically change the ownership of a parent directory away from
myself, such as after any reboot, and I'd have to ssh into the NAS and
chown it back to me.

Inside it, there's different mounts for the "Public" filespace and
individual users spaces.  And, right now, mine's doing its annoying
semi-regular "No such file or directory" when you try at access a sub-
directory that it's listing, and clearly does exist.  It was working
yesterday.  This device is such a pain!  As far as I'm concerned it's a
disastrously designed piece of rubbish.  One of their older My Book
Live NAS devices was much more stable.

Another of its quirks was refusing access if its time and date were
wrong (such as after a power failure, and it had booted up before the
rest of the network was available).

For what it's worth, I don't use entries in fstab for it.  I gave up on
that years ago, because Linux would throw a fit at boot-up or shut-down
if the NAS wasn't available at the time.  The NASs go to sleep when
idle, and can take an age to wake up.  Sometimes they don't.

I use autofs, any time I access /net/the-hostname-of-my-nas/ it
connects to it, and automatically lets it go some time after last
access.  There are no special options set (by me) about the NFS
protocols it uses.

--

NB:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
I will only get to see the messages that are posted to the list.

The following system info data is generated fresh for each post:

uname -rsvp
Linux 6.2.15-100.fc36.x86_64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu May 11 16:51:53
UTC 2023 x86_64