Re: firefox keeps freezing on me

Only if freezing includes the machine crashing.    If the machine is
not crashing and it recovers from the freeze without a reboot/power
cycle then we are back to memory/paging being a problem.  Note I have
seen swapping act as badly.  And it may only be every so often that it
runs out of ram.    My older 10GB machine was having serious issues
with ram usage a couple of years ago until I retired it (upgrading the
ram would have cost 50% of the price of a new much faster
machine--ddr2 4gb dimms are expensive).

Hardware issues do not typically leave the machine up (except for
intel/amd throttling down when getting hot, but even that will crash
if it gets bad enough).    install kernel-tools and run turbostat it
will show the cpu freqs and cpu temps.