Re: Python code error in F39, but not in F38

I have seen the bug in old code that a new compiler
optimization/library fix exposed.

I have seen code unload a loadable library and then turn around and
call a function in the unloaded library (it worked since the unload
was a NOOP), but broke when the vendor removed/fixed  the NOOP and
made the unload work like it should have always  worked.   Developers
argued with the vendor for *MONTHS* that their code had worked for
years and on 3 different unixes (all being lazy and NOOPing).     It
is not clear to me how anyone is stupid enough to argue that the calls
they asked to be unloaded should work after the unload, but they did
argue that for months.

I have seen fortran code that "worked" for years.  The Intel compiler
broke it by putting fortran const's in a read-only segment and they
were passing a const (in fortran it is not allowed to be changed) into
a subroutine and changing it.    The professor was yelling at my
company for similar reasons (the code has worked for years it cannot
be the code, it is this crappy compiler you sold us).

I also previously worked for a company that compiled their code with 3
different bought linux compilers, and a SGI and Sun compiler and
examined the warnings from all and resolved them and found that
warnings on one or the other compiler would flag something and upon
examination of the code they often could not understand why the code
"appeared" work well enough even with what was clearly a bug in the
code.

Just because your code "appears" to work in your test case says little
or nothing about the code being "perfect".   I have found significant
bugs that made me question how the code was returning correct results
too many times.

Never assume that old code is right.  there are many ways for it to be
wrong and still return correct results until someone else fixes their
external code that was allowing your bad code to work.