Re: DNF Upgrade from F38 to F39 Issues

On 18/11/23 14:28, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
On Fri, Nov 17, 2023 at 10:08 PM Stephen Morris
<samorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,
      I used dnf system-upgrade to upgrade from F38 to F39. After the
upgrade when I booted into gdm to login and start KDE, the machine hung
on KDE startup into X11.
      Thinking it might be an nvidia UEFI enrolment issue with the F39
nvidia drivers, I reset the machine and booted back into gdm.
      I then used ctrl+alt+F2 to start a terminal interface. In that
terminal I went through the UEFI enrolment process but that said the
drivers were already enrolled.
      I issued dmesg to see if there were any nvidia failure messages, of
which there none, but I did notice there were initialisation and what
looked like failure messages from Nouveau, but I don't understand why
there would be an Nouveau messages at all when Nouveau is blacklisted in
the kernel parameters in grub.
      I then uninstalled all the nvidia drivers that were present. I then
used ctrl+alt+delete to reboot from the terminal. That process hung for
1.5 minutes waiting for a job stop (I don't remember what it was waiting
on), and, when the 1.5 minute timer finished it then hung waiting for
XWayland to shut down. Why was it waiting for XWayland to shut down when
I don't use Wayland, I only use X11?
      On reboot, I started up KDE under Nouveau, which doesn't work
properly with my BENQ 4K monitor, it can't determine what the monitor
is, so doesn't run in the right resolutions, although it does honour the
display scaling specified when using the nvidia drivers (which do
recognise the monitor and set things up properly).
      I reinstalled the nvidia drivers and a subsequent reboot then
booted into KDE with any issues (which is where I'm sending this email
from). Why did this freezing of the nvidia drivers happen, is it because
the F39 nvidia drivers don't work properly with an update and have to be
installed from scratch to work properly?
      Also, after reinstalling the nvidia drivers, at the gdm login
screen the display manager selection options only showed "Gnome", "Gnome
Classic" and "Plasma/X11", where are the options for all of those to
swap them between Wayland and X11 if I want to, that were present in F38
before the upgrade to F39?
A couple of thoughts in no particular order. I don't know how you
should move forward with your issues.

* The KDE spin uses Wayland, not X11.

* The KDE spin uses SDDM, not GDM.
I originally installed F36 from a live DVD which installs a Gnome spin with gdm. I then installed KDE by doing a dnf group install of Plasma which still leaves GDM as the default Display Manager. I then upgraded to F38 via dnf system-upgrade and then to F39 via dnf system-upgrade, all of which leave gdm as the display manager. I can then boot into Gnome (which I do infrequently) and KDE both in X11 by selecting the appropriate menu option in a GDM, as indicated by Patrick in a subsequent thread.
* SecureBoot should be turned off if using tainted kernel drivers. Or,
you can cutover to driver signing. I usually turn off SecureBoot
because I don't like messing around with driver signing. In my case,
it usually is due to VirtualBox, not NVIDIA.
As my system is a tri-boot between Windows 11, Fedora 39 and Ubuntu 22.04, and Windows doesn't seem to work properly with UEFI disabled, I've gone down the path of signing the nvidia drivers under Fedora and Ubuntu, using separate passwords as I found using the same password causes thing to not work properly.

regards,
Steve

Jeff