strange problem, may be related to ssh

Since the middle of the night on 7/Nov, uploading files with ssh is problematic.

My SMTP server requires SSL/TLS security, and uploading files to the same site requires sftp.
So both run over ssh.

I have a few scripts that run from cron and send me mail when required.
They also upload some files for other people and for me when I am away from home.

Now here is the problem. Small files pass though just fine. Using sftp I measured
that files up to 1300 bytes upload, but anything larger hangs. Large mail is also blocked,
queued as seen in mailq:
	(timeout writing message to xxxx.xxxx.net.au.: Connection timed)

It seems that after some time (often hours) things resolve.
Rebooting the machine also allows the mail through.

Scripts that upload larger files (using lftp) hang for hours.

Now I tested the same from a laptop over 4G and it does not show any of these problems.
So it is probably not at the receiving end (I also asked them).
All they see is occasional timeouts on mail and ssh (from me).

I cannot figure what can do this. Small files upload OK larger ones hang???

I said earlier "middle of the night" because I was not at my computer then and
nothing of note that I could see, but the problems started showing in the logs.

There is still the possibility of my ISP fiddling with the modem remotely (in the
past they did it around this time). I am chasing them.

One thing that can help now is a way to un-hang the uploads without having to reboot.
I do not know where to even look.

Some details:

The modem uses 4G for wireless internet.

I used a laptop wired to my server, then wired to the modem, then connected to my WiFi ap
(which is wired to the modem) and all hang on large(ish) uploads.

Only when I connected the laptop to my phone (as a WiFi ap) things worked well.

BTW, one thing I did was disable ipv6 but the problem persists.

--
Eyal at Home (eyal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)