Re: Tip: default printer

On 7/11/23 11:14, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
On 11/6/23 14:59, Stephen Morris wrote:
On 6/11/23 19:48, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
Hi All,

This is my keeper file on the default printer.

Hope this helps someone else.

-T

Exactly what purpose does the "server default" printer serve?
Is it even possible to send the CUPS server a print job with
no printer specified?    AAAAHHHH!!!!!!

On my system I didn't have any printers defined, so to test things I added my network printer which is an Epson ET3700. Before I started, ~/.cups/lpoptions didn't exist and /etc/cups/lpoptions was empty. To add my printer I went into the cups interface, as I always do, in firefox and under Administration I selected "Add Printer". That displayed all the print devices cups could see, which included "Epson ET3700 Series" and "Epson ET3700 Series Driverless" under "Network Printers". I selected "Epson ET3700 Series Driverless, and then in the Model selection on the next screen, I selected the "Driverless Driver" rather than the "IPP Everywhere Driver", then clicked on "Add Printer". After defining the printer I checked ~/.cups/lpoptions and it still did not exist, and /etc/cups/lpoptions was still empty. Lpstat -p showed my printer only and lpstat -d said there was no system default. Going into KDE's system settings Printer interface shows the printer I added in Cups with "Default Printer" not checked, and when I click on "Configure" and look at the printer properties it shows me the settings I set in cups as the default properties. If I start Libreoffice Writer and look at file->Printer Properties it shows two entries for my printer, one with "Double Sided Printing" active, which I set in the default options in Cups, and one entry with "Double Sided Printing" turned off, and unfortunately both printer entries have the same name. The double entry that Libreoffice Writer shows is similar to the issue I get under Windows. Under windows when I install the Epson printer driver and install my printer, the printer installation creates two printer definitions, an Epson ET3700 "Local" and an Epson ET3700 Network, where the "Local" entry has "Double Sided" printing active and the "Network" entry has "Double Sided" printing turned off and Administrator Disabled so that it can't be changed. Even though the printer is set up this way the "Local" definition still outputs to the network printer anyway.

regards,
Steve

Hi Steve,

This is exactly what I was seeing.

 I did not realize that
    ~/.cups/lpoptions, and
    /etc/cups/lpoptions

had to be set outside the WebUI (https://127.0.0.1:631).
Confused the heck (not my "actual" word) out of me.

The WebUI's default is server only.  For what use, I can not
fathom.

To see what the Server's default is, check /etc/cups/printers.conf
as root.

su root -c "less /etc/cups/printers.conf | grep -i DefaultPrinter"

<DefaultPrinter HLL2300D>
</DefaultPrinter>
I did a sudo cat /etc/cups/printers.conf and that has an entry for my printer only (no cups-pdf) and it does not have a DefaultPrinter entry, and my assumption is, as I only have one printer definition, by default that is the default printer. One other thing I noticed is if you go into cups in your browser via localhost:631 and go into the printer definition, in the "Administration" dropdown there is an entry to set the default printer but the entry says "Set the Server Default", so cups is actually telling you that the default printer set in cups is the server default. I suspect that when printing is done via cups, it is the cups server that is using the driver for the server defined printer on the server to do all the printer specific translations, rather than that being done on the client side (It has always been my interpretation that when using cups for printing that you are interfacing to a server and it is the server that is doing all the printing work, whereas if printing is being done via lpr then the environment where lpr is being invoked from is doing all the printing work). It has also always been my experience that if you set your printer up to use cups drivers, and cups is down for whatever reason, you can't do any printing. One thing that is interesting, if I use KDE's system settings to add a printer, and I select the Epson ET3700 Series network printer entry which uses IPP Anywhere, when I'm prompted for the driver I get offered two Epson categories (Epson and EPSON), the second category has the driverless driver and the first category has all the cups supplied drivers, of which there isn't one for the printer I have. I've had the printer for several years, but I guess it is still too new for cups to support.

regards,
Steve

I reported the problem over on CUPS:
   CUPS UI (631) fails to update the default printer in /etc/cups/lpoptions
   https://github.com/OpenPrinting/cups/issues/818
They explained the misunderstanding to me.

I did ask on the bug report if they would included some
declaration on the Web UI's page that this was the server's
default and not the local machine's default so that
it would be intuitive to those without developer's level
knowledge of the situation.

    "..it is not intuitively obvious to the lay user. It
    took me two years to figure it out. Would you consider
    removing the confusion for lay people by adding some
    wording to the Web UI to the affect that "This is
    the service side default printer. For your local
    computer, set the default printer with lpoptions:
    lpoptions -d printer-name.

    Okay, and I know I may be pushing it here, but it would
    be capitol if you added a client side setting for
    default printer to the  Web UI too."

I have not heard back from them, but it has not been that
long yet.

-T