Re: iPad file backup?

On 10/22/23 06:58, Michael D. Setzer II via users wrote:
On 21 Oct 2023 at 17:47, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:

Date sent:      	Sat, 21 Oct 2023 17:47:07 -0700
To:             	Community support for Fedora users
<users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:        	iPad file backup?
Send reply to:  	Community support for Fedora users
<users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From:           	ToddAndMargo via users
<users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Copies to:      	ToddAndMargo <ToddAndMargo@xxxxxxxx>

Hi All,

Fedora 38

My wife has her eye on a new iPad to replace her outgoing
Android tablet.   (I can't find any Fedora tablets.)

Is there a way to backup her working files from an iPad to
Fedora as I can do with her Android?

Many thanks,
-T
Depends on what you mean by backup.
There are lots of ways to copy files between different systems.
FTP or RSYNC are two easy ones to make copies of files between
sytems. Going back to the old days of DOS and original Apple
computers there were problems since the disk formats were not
compatiable. But even then ftp or local bbs systems would allow
for transfer files.

Now most OS's can mount other file systems. Linux can generally
mount Windows or Mac Filesystems and copy the physical files,
though some attributes might no carry over.

I've maintained a disk imaging project going back to 2004, and it
can create image files at bit level of any OS that linux can see.
Now being able to use the files is a different question.

What types of files?
Programs will probable not be compatible, but just like one can use
libreoffice for microsoft files in most cases with a high degree of
success.

I've had Apple and Windows disk that were unreadable by there
OSs, but was able to mount many with Linux and copy files to help
people recover data. But sometimes hard errors make that
impossible.

I generally copy files between my 5 home machines as backups, so
a failure isn't  huge issue. Recently had a new SSD drive that was
under a year old just fail completely. Didn't should up as anything
connected to SATA cable or via a USB to SATA, but have
everything but one file backedup to other systems, so only had one
program I had to redo that took about 45 minutes.

My wife is just after her documents.  Sneaker net is an option.