Re: Solved: Instructions: Re: Anyone know of any cards or accessories that allow a desktop to make calls on a cellular network?

On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 12:34:36 -0700
stan <upaitag@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Inspired by the responses here that allowed me to understand what I
> was searching for, I eventually found a program called scrcpy.
>
> https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy/

Here are the instructions that I used to get scrcpy working for me.  I
don't know how clear they will be to someone who hasn't already done
this, since I can't re experience that, but I tried to make them
simple.  I really like using the phone this way, better than directly,
actually.

These are the instructions for how to connect a phone to the desktop
using a USB cable.  It is possible to do this via pairing over TCPIP if
both your computer and your phone have access to the same wireless
network. I don't have wireless on my desktop, so didn't investigate
this as I had to use the USB cable technique.  If you do use the TCPIP
method, you might be able to use KDE-connect instead of scpcpy to
access the phone.

First, prepare the desktop.  These are done as the root user, or with
sudo.
Install the android tools to get adb, the android debug tool
dnf install android-tools
Get an enhanced wrapper for the adb program, not necessary, but
easier to use than the raw adb.
dnf install adb-enhanced
Install scrcpy from the fedora copr repository
dnf copr enable zeno/scrcpy && dnf install scrcpy
Add the adb group to /etc/group
groupadd -U [your username] plugdev
Create a udev rule that gives permission to access the usb device
that is your phone.
Run
lsusb
and then look for your phone as a device.  Below is dummy sample,
not a phone.
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
                       ^^^^ ^^^^
These are the numbers you want.  Put them in a file called (51 is
arbitrary)
/etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules
using a line as follows:
ATTR{idVendor}=="1d6b", ATTR{idProduct}=="0002", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev
                 ^^^^                     ^^^^
Replace the two numbers with the numbers for your phone when it is
connected to the USB port.

Once you have done this, you will have to log out and log in again as
your user, or reboot the computer to pick up the changes to the group.
You might be able to pick up the new udev rule by
unplugging and plugging the USB cable into the phone.
Or, I didn't try this, but
systemctl restart systemd-udevd

If, as your user, you run
adb devices
or
adbe devices
at this point it will give you a permissions error for the phone,
though it will be able to find it.

Now prepare the phone, so it can be recognized, all done as you on the
phone. Find the build date in settings, and tap on it until it says you
have developer privileges. Then enter the developer menu and turn on
USB access. I'm not giving detailed instructions on where to find these
because it varies by phone.  Mine were in about phone or system from
settings. Find the USB debug menu item and turn it on.
FInd the USB mode menu item and set it to file transfer / mtp.
The phone is now ready.
If you type
adb devices
or
adbe devices
as your user, not root, it will now recognize the phone.
You are ready to run scrcpy, as your user, not root.
scrcpy
will bring up a dialog on your phone asking you for permission to run
the adb server on the phone.  If you tap OK on the phone, it will bring
up an image of your phone screen on your desktop. This is one of the
benefits of running scrcpy; it will install a compatible server on your
phone for the client that it is using. Avoids error messages saying the
server and client version do not match. You can now use your phone with
your mouse, clicking to tap, and swiping the mouse cursor to swipe the
phone. Make and receive calls, and send and receive texts.  I think it
is possible to use your desktop keyboard to type messages, but I
haven't tried that yet.  You can probably surf the web from your phone
as well, but why surf with your phone when you can surf with your
desktop?  I didn't try it, but it seems you can play games from your
phone on your desktop, as well.  In other words, you can use the
functionality of your phone from your desktop.  You can use man scrcpy
to find the commands, and keyboard shortcuts, when using scrcpy on your
phone.

If you exit scrcpy, you can still use adb or adbe to perform a lot of
tasks on your phone directly with adb.  Like removing and installing
apps, transferring files both ways, backing it up, cleaning up bloat.
The technastic link below has a list of adb commands.
If you run
abde
without any command, it will print a list of all the commands that are
available in adbe.

Some of the pages I used to glean the above information.  If you want
to go deeper, or use the TCPIP method, these might be of assistance.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/602129/how-to-update-or-re-install-the-newest-version-of-adb
https://techupedia.com/how-to-apply-update-from-adb/
https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/248766/how-do-i-upgrade-an-android-phones-version-from-my-pc
https://technastic.com/adb-shell-commands-list/