Re: Thunderbird & non-english characters ?

On Sat, 2023-09-16 at 15:40 +0200, lejeczek via users wrote:
> I'm trying to add an account in Thunderbird, address contains non-
> english chars and Thunderbird  stops, does not proceed further,
> colors the field in red & sticks ! mark there.
> That surely must be not an issue of Thunderbird/OS but my
> configuration somewhere, right? Email accounts/address with non-
> english chars are a norm nowadays?

That looks like a bug.  Although I don't have the latest version of
Thunderbird, if I were to try and create a new email account (using the
version I do have) with international characters it will allow this:

test@æ.example.com

But not this:

æ@example.com

Both *are* actually allowable (since around 2012), when using UTF8
encoding.  However, you may find that any of the email servers the
email may go through might also fail the message.

This kind of thing, however, should work with any email service:

æ <ae@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Where you've made the display name use international characters, but
the entire email address is just plain ASCII.

Of course while people can see that æ and ae are the same thing,
they're three completely different sets of characters, so the email
account actually has to be the characters used (the ASCII version).
One isn't an alias for the other.

You may find other difficulties with using an international address,
even if you find an email program that accepts it (Evolution does).
You may still encounter mail servers that don't, so sending or
receiving mail may fail.

For what it's worth, the local part (left of the @ sign), is also case-
sensitive, although it's encouraged for mail servers to not obey that
(but who knows how well this is implemented in practice).  This means
that john@xxxxxxxxxxx and John@xxxxxxxxxxx are not the same address,
since J and j are two *different* characters.  In English, it's not too
hard to simply convert all capitals to lower case, and treat everything
as lower case (that's one method to make things case insensitive), but
that's much more complex to do with other languages.

There was another encoding technique called punycode, which
transliterates international characters into special ASCII sequences
(essentially a 7-bit scheme trying to do the same as the 8-bit UTF8).
But this *also* depends on everything else understanding that, as well.
If they don't, then it'll also fail.  The characters will be valid, but
will be taken literally as they are, rather than understood for what
they're supposed to represent (similar to the John & john issue).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_email
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punycode

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.95.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Jul 24 13:59:37 UTC 2023 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.