Re: F38 install fails on a Lenovo x120e - Failed to set new efi boot traget

On 17 Jul 2023 at 11:25, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Date sent:      	Mon, 17 Jul 2023 11:25:31 -0400
To:             	Community support for Fedora users
<users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From:           	Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:        	F38 install fails on a Lenovo x120e - Failed to set
new efi boot
	traget
Send reply to:  	Community support for Fedora users
<users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> this system had F22 on it.
>
> I just went through all the steps to blow away the old partitions and
> install F38.
>
> It tried for maybe an hour with the spindizzy on "Installing boot loader".

Couple of question.
1. Did you let it run the media test on boot device befor the boot.
Don't know why, but a number of times I've had media that
worked before, but then fail to do an install for various reason.
Doing the media test will generally find an error. Redoing the
media will generally resolve the issue, and it will pass test and
install. So, would start with that.

2. I've got Fedora 37 running on a Lenovo R60, which I believe is
even older. It does have 4G of Ram, but only sees the 3.xG since
being so old. Machine original only had 1G new. Would also
probable do a memtest, but don't think Fedora boot has memtest
included? Memtest 6.20 does run on it.

My machine used dnf upgrade to 37, so didn't do a fresh install
with Fedora 37. Think it was clean installed with 36, and then
upgraded to 37.

Pulled it out and its bios is 2008, so definitely older. Booted up
fine, and running dnf update. Thought I had upgraded it to 38, but
it is at 37.
Machine does have a 700G disk (Clover CN-M750M disk).

Did find video that shows UEFI setup of x120e with with windows
7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi7vKqPkdMY

So looks like it has UEFI, but didn't see any reference to UEFI on
my R60? If the UEFI install doesn't work, perhaps you could set
bios to legacy only and see if it will install in legacy setup..

Running the dnf upgrade on my R60 to see if it will upgrade to 38?
First computer was a 1963 IBM 1130 with punch cards back in
1975. So started with old machines that still were working.. High
School..
Good Luck. Have to see if my R60 will do Fedora 38.

> If finally came back with a dialog box with an error of:
>
> The following error occurred while installing the boot loader.  The
> system will not be bootable.  Would you like to ignore this and continue
> with the installation?
>
> Failed to set new efi boot target.  This is most likely a kernel or
> firmware bug.
>
> No|Yes
>
> What should I do at this point.  It IS an old system that has had a
> number of ver of Fedora on it.  It was booting F22 just fine, it seemed
> but now it is all gone...
>
> help?

 Michael D. Setzer II - Computer Science Instructor (Retired)
 mailto:mikes@xxxxxxxx
 mailto:msetzerii@xxxxxxxxx
 Guam - Where America's Day Begins
 G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer