Aw: wordpress problem

> Am 14.07.2023 um 21:59 schrieb Bill Cunningham <bill.cu1234@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
> I have the server edition installed and log into firefox and enter https://localhost/wp-admin and I always get there's no such url. https://localhost:9090 works fine for the server edition login. What am I doing or not doing here? I installed one rpm called wordpress and its' dependencies. There was also a wordpress plugin that I did not install. Is anyone familiar with Server Edition wordpress?

Well, I’m familiar, ‚a bit‘.

1.
Before you start installing WordPress, you should check if this is what you really want. :-) WP is a beast, a prime example of bloated software and an ongoing source of security vulnerabilities. If you need a dynamic CMS, there are really better alternatives. See https://www.cms-garden.org/en. If you have no choice, proceed.

2.
The way you obviously installed WP is not meant to work. Fedora Server has no graphical interface and no graphical browser with which you can view a WP page.

Rather, you install Fedora Server and software like WordPress and view the content from another machine over a network connection, not localhost. Localhost also works under certain conditions, but that is then kind of "off label use“.

If you want to experiment with it, then either buy a small Rasberry Pi compatible computer (see https://docs.stg.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fedora-server/server-on-sbc/reference-list/) or install virtualization software like VirtualBox on your desktop and then Fedora Server in it. Then you can access Fedora Server and WordPress through the internal virtual network.

3.
A good fist overview provides https://fedoramagazine.org/howto-install-wordpress-fedora/

4.
The steps required are approximately as follows:

a)
Install Fedora Server (obviously)

b)
Install a database. Fedora Server supports PostgreSQL (WordPress does, too) see: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fedora-server/services/setup-postgresql/ When everything works, add a database and a database user for Wordpress.

c)
Install a Web Server. Fedora Server Supports Apache. See https://docs.stg.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fedora-server/services/httpd-basic-setup/

d)
Install the WordPress Package. It automatically installs PHP as a dependency, too.

e)
Edit the Wordpress configuration file:
[…]# vim /etc/wordpress/wp-config.php
• → define( 'DB_NAME', 'xxxxx' );
• → define( 'DB_USER', 'xxxx' );
• → define( 'DB_PASSWORD', 'xxxxxxxx' );
• → define( 'DB_HOST', 'xxxx' );

Select PostgreSQL as your database and insert user name, password, etc as configured in b)

f)
Optionally you may adjust various parameters to your liking, e.g. the Wordpress address

[…]# vim /etc/httpd/conf.d/wordpress.conf
(edit)
## Alias /wordpress /usr/share/wordpress

## Access wordpress via base address
DocumentRoot /usr/share/wordpress

# Access is only allowed via local access
…

But probably you should not do this with a first installation.

g)
Adjust the Apache Wordpress configuration file
[…]# vim /etc/httpd/conf.d/wordpress.conf
'Require local' → 'Require all granted‘

g)
Start the Web Server
[…]# systemctl enable httpd
[…]# systemctl start httpd
[…]# systemctl status httpd

h)
On your desktop start your browser and visit the WordPress graphical configuration page
<yourserver>:80/wordpress

You may also wait some days until I have finished my Fedora Server documentation article.

Good luck
Peter

--
Peter Boy
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pboy

Timezone: CET (UTC+1) / CEST /UTC+2)

Fedora Server Edition Working Group member
Fedora Docs team contributor and board member
Java developer and enthusiast