Re: F38 install issues

El 13/7/23 a las 20:33, Matt Morgan escribió:
Hi. I haven't been here for a long time, which I guess is a testament to how well Fedora works these days.

I have a new laptop, set up with Windows, that I'm trying to install F38 on. I used the media writer to make a USB boot/install drive. It booted fine, and I clicked to install to hard drive.

I took about half of the 1TB SSD for Fedora, and told it to continue. Then I left for a few minutes. When I came back, the computer had booted to the USB drive again (it appeared). I removed the USB drive and rebooted again.

The system booted to Windows with no indication of a grub boot menu. The drive was missing the space I'd reclaimed, so clearly that worked, at least partly. But nothing I do seems to get it to boot linux or drop me at a grub menu.

When I boot off the usb drive, it works, but I don't see any linux-related files on the SSD. So basically it looks like the drive got partitioned, at least partly, and the install didn't run. So I'm trying to run the install again, but no combination of clicks is getting me what I want.

1) For "Installation Destination," I see "Error checking storage configuration." I click on that, and it has the one device for me to install to. At the bottom, it says "Error checking storage configuration." When I "click for details," I get

---
The following erros were encountered when checking your storage configuration. You can modify your storage layout or quit the installer.

Failed to find a suitable stage 1 device: EFI System Partition must be mounted on one of /boot/efi.; EFI System Partition cannot be of type None.; EFI System Partition cannot be of type ntfs.; EFI System Partition must be mounted on one of /boot/efi.; EFI System Partition cannot be of type ext4.; EFI System Partition must e mounted on one of /boot/efi.; EFI System Partition cannot be of type btrfs,; EFI System Partition must e mounted on one of /boot/efi.
----

If I then go into "BLIVET GUI PARTITIONING" I do see a Btrfs volume, labeled "fedora_locahost-live," of 460GB. It has "home" and "root" subvolumes. It has no mountpoints for / and /home, but I can add them. Still, I guess it wants me to tell it where to put /boot? What do I do?

For reference, when I look at the drive in BLIVET I see

device     type      format  size      label                 mountpoint
nvme0n1p1  partition efi     100MiB
nvme0n1p2  partition         16MiB
nvme0n1p3  partition ntfs    491.34GiB
nvme0n1p5  partition ext4    1024MiB   fedora_localhost-live
nvme0n1p4  partition ntfs    662MiB

So the overall picture I'm getting is that the first install didn't finish partitioning the drive (since I don't see anywhere for /boot) and didn't do any of the install. But a) I'm not really confident in that assessment b) I don't know what to do next, in any case. Is it nvwe0n1p2 where /boot was meant to go?

Thanks,
Matt

It seems you burned the Fedora Live image in your NVMe 0 Namespace 1 Partition 5 as seen in

nvme0n1p5  partition ext4    1024MiB   fedora_localhost-live

You must burn it to an external USB drive (ej /dev/sdx) and boot for it.

If you reserved half disk (eg 500Gb) but later burn the image in I think is normal whats is seen in this partition list.

Hope helps