Re: /boot problem.

On Sun, 21 May 2023 19:28:14 +0200
Lukas Middendorf <lukas+fedora@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for comments.

> On 21/05/2023 18:05, stan via users wrote:
> > 1.  Caveat: This is a complex procedure, and from your past posts of
> > your skill level, maybe too risky for you to do.
> > There is lots of room in / for /boot. Right now you are using a
> > separate /boot, but there is a way to use a /boot under the
> > root partition (currently masked by the separate /boot partition),
> > and you would no longer have this problem. Others can critique the
> > algorithm below for errors or improvements.
>
> You are right, a separate /boot partition is not really necessary,
> unless you are running disk encryption. I don't think I ever had a
> separate /boot on my desktop computer. I have not tested whether
> /boot on btrfs works with grub on legacy BIOS, though, but it works
> on UEFI and with ext4 on legacy BIOS.
>
> That said, this definitely is a "don't try this unless you know what
> you are doing" situation. You should at least roughly know how grub
> works, how it can be reinstalled, how its configuration can be
> generated and how to use a live/rescue system booted from USB (or
> optical disc) to repair things should problems arise.
> If you don't know what you are doing, reinstalling the complete
> system without a separate /boot is likely easier and safer.
>
> > Have fedora running as you currently do,
> > replicate the contents of the current /boot partition into another
> > temporary directory like
> > /root/boot_copy or /home/[your login]/boot_copy
>
> no need to create a temporary copy. Simply unmount, temporarily mount
> he partition somewhere else and copy from there.

Good improvement.

> > I can't remember if rsync will create a target directory if it
> > doesn't exist, so it might complain unless you create the directory
> > first. rsync -a -i -u -v -x -A -H -X /boot/ /root/boot_copy
> > or
> > rsync -a -i -u -v -x -A -H -X /boot/ /home/[your login]/boot_copy
> > then unmount
> > /boot
> > umount /boot
> > which should expose the /boot under /dev/sda6 which is the root
> > filesystem.
> > Now copy the earlier copy of boot you made into the /boot under
> > /dev/sda6
> > rsync -a -i -u -v -x -A -H -X /root/boot_copy/ /boot
> > or
> > rsync -a -i -u -v -x -A -H -X /home/[your login]/boot_copy/ /boot
> > Once this is done, and you confirm that all the files are there,
> > have proper permissions, and have proper SElinux context,
> > ls -nZ /boot
> > compared to
> > ls -nZ /root/boot_copy
> > or
> > ls -nZ /home/[your login]/boot_copy
> > and all subdirectories of /boot
> > e.g. ls -nZ /boot/grub2
> > ls -nZ /boot/loader/entries
> > if you have an efi partition, though I think you said legacy,
> > and it doesn't show in the df
> > ls -nZ /boot/efi/EFI/fedora
> >
> > edit /etc/fstab
> > and comment the line for /dev/sda3, the current separate boot
> > partition. Put a # at the start of the line.
> > You should now be able to reboot, and the system will boot from the
> > /boot under /dev/sda6
>
> no, it will not. Grub will just use the kernel and initrd from the
> old boot partition as before. Only the booted kernel will not mount
> the separate /boot any more. The system will likely continue to work
> as before, but kernel updates will be broken.
> You also have to reinstall grub to the MBR, so it uses its files
> (including the configuration) on the new location. And you have to
> update the grub configuration (likely including the individual files
> in /boot/loader/entries) to use the kernel and initrd from the new
> location.

Good correction, I missed this entirely.  The main implication of
this addition is that it is not as easy to return to the previous setup
if there is an error, so makes the procedure significantly more risky.

> There is quite some potential for mistakes that will break the boot
> process.

Yes, there sure is.  Given this new addition, I would not recommend
this unless there is a way to boot some sort of rescue system if the
procedure goes wrong.  I think home user should cross this off his list.