Re: Experience with 10Gb ethernet adapters?

Given that hardware, buy something like this instead.

used, but better class of card.

https://www.newegg.com/intel-e10g42bt/p/N82E16833106075?Description=10gbit%20card&cm_re=10gbit_card-_-33-106-075-_-Product&quicklink=true

or something similar from the used sellers.  There seem to be a decent
variety of cards under $100.

Manufacturers that are good are HPE/DELL/Intel/Broadcom/IBM/Lenovo.
But you do need to do a bit of research on the given cards to see what
the real chipset is.  Avoid Emulex/Be2net variants they have "issues".
Intel/Broadcom/Mellanox based cards are good.