Re: Messages held for moderation.

On Mon, May 8, 2023 at 12:20 PM Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > What makes you think Kevin isn't doing that?
> >
> > I'll be clear: I do do that.
> >
> > Messages larger that 60k are held and I don't release them, as they
> > are
> > not valid. Instead for those, I mail the poster directly and tell
> > them
> > that their post is over the limit and they should trim it and resend.
>
> I just send the canned response which you can configure in the Mailman
> settings (I moderate the Evolution list). Hasn't failed me yet, though
> having it happen automatically would be nice.

The canned response says the message is being held, and it will be reviewed.

>From our view of things, messages are only held and not reviewed or
released. Or that has been my experience.

Perhaps the canned response should be changed to use the exact
language in the Mailing List Guidelines
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines#No_attachments):

<QUOTE>
Attachments to email make the messages much bigger. They create an
enormous amount of extra Internet traffic when a mailing list sends
the message and attachments to thousands of people worldwide. They
also can create problems for the recipients, who may be limited to
low-bandwidth connections. A reader may not know they are downloading
an email with a very large attachment until it is too late, and they
might be blocked from getting other mail until they finish that
download, which makes them frustrated.

Don't use attachments to your email. Instead, post a file in your
Fedorapeople.org space, pastebin, or elsewhere on the web, and include
a URL to that file in your email, not the file itself.
</QUOTE>

Personally, I think the policy is bad. You don't want to disgorge the
message and attachment. Rather, you want to keep them together.
Otherwise, important context and information is lost, and the archive
of the message is damaged.

I am sympathetic to internet poverty. If that's the problem being
solved, then down-sample an image, compress a text file, etc.

Jeff