Re: I have not been able to install F37 on a computer that has RAID1

> Am 01.05.2023 um 19:39 schrieb David Woodyard <dwoody5654@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Fedora is the only OS.

That’s good. So it is quite easy.

> Second bunch of questions:
>
> (a)
> Do you need to keep data?  If yes, how they are stored? On its own partition?
> Both / and /home has raid1.
> / of course will be over written. /home needs to be preserved.

That’s not so good, but perfectly doable. Keeping sda2/sdb2 and mounting as /home may cause some headaches in the long run, in organizational and administrative terms. But does not affect the reliability.

Maybe, you study
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fedora-server/installation/#_storage_organization
and
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fedora-server/installation/interactive-local/#_installation_destination

If you haven’t already done so.

> If not, is there anything against completely restructuring the hard disks? Then you wouldn't have to worry about the UUID at all.
>
> (b) how are the disk currently formatted, what is the output of
>
> Formatted as ext4 for everything.
>
> lsblk
>
>  NAME      MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE  MOUNTPOINTS
> sda         8:0    1 931.5G  0 disk
> ├─sda1      8:1    1  14.7G  0 part
> └─sda2      8:2    1 916.9G  0 part
>   └─md127   9:127  0 916.7G  0 raid1 /home
> sdb         8:16   1 931.5G  0 disk
> └─sdb2      8:18   1 916.9G  0 part
>   └─md127   9:127  0 916.7G  0 raid1 /home
> sdc         8:32   0 111.8G  0 disk
> └─sdc1      8:33   0 111.8G  0 part
>   └─md0     9:0    0 111.7G  0 raid1
> sdd         8:48   0 111.8G  0 disk
> └─sdd1      8:49   0 111.8G  0 part
>   └─md0     9:0    0 111.7G  0 raid1
> sde         8:64   1  28.6G  0 disk
> ├─sde1      8:65   1     1M  0 part
> └─sde2      8:66   1  28.6G  0 part  /
> zram0     252:0    0     8G  0 disk  [SWAP]
>
> The sde drive is a usb that I am using to boot with until I get the hdd fixed.

The Harddisks are <2 TB and it looks like a DOS/MBR partitioning. Fedora nowadays used GPT for all disks. As said, you can keep DOS/MBR, but may cause organizational and administrative problems later due to the different default partitioning.

Another issue:

(a)
sdb has just sdb2, no sdb1. So we have to know, how it is partitioned in detail to determine, how we can use the disk as part of a raid.

(b)
Regarding the mentioned UUID issue you have to check the disk ID.

Therefore, use as root / with rood permission (sudo -i)

fdisk  -l  | less

You can scroll up and down to check all partition entries.

Would be good if you could post the listing here

Another question:

how do you use sdc/sdd ?  They are raid type 1 as well. but obviously not mounted anywhere.

To install Fedora Server you have several options:

(a) To create a Raid of 14 GB on sda and sdb, format at as xfs (no LVM as Fedora uses by default) and use it as the root file system for system data. Mount the raid on sda2 und sdb2 as /home in the root file system. That’s a bit tricky, but nevertheless just a series of several step-by-step actions.

(b) Install the system (root file system) just on sda1 without raid (and therefore without redundancy in case of a disk failure for the system files) and mount the current raid on /home. That’s the easiest way.

(c) If you don’t use sdc/sdd, then install Fedora on those disk, and - again - mount sda2/sdb2  as /home. That’s quite easy as well.

(d) Backup /home, completely reformat the disks and restore /home.

Comparing the alternatives:

(c) seems the best solution if you can completely overwrite disks sdc/sdd.

(b) is best, if you mainly want to play around and explore Fedora Server

(a) Is best if you want to seriously use Fedora Server, but without touching you precious data (provided you can add a partition to sdb as required).

(d) is best if you want a long term solution in line with Fedora's development and administrative principles and (upcomming) administrative tools.

That’s your choice.

--
Peter Boy
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pboy

Timezone: CET (UTC+1) / CEST (UTC+2)

Fedora Server Edition Working Group member
Fedora docs team contributor
Java developer and enthusiast