Re: Upgrading to F38, setroubleshoot-server seems to be taking a long time

On Tue, 25 Apr 2023, stan via users wrote:

On Tue, 25 Apr 2023 16:10:06 -0400 (EDT)
Max Pyziur <pyz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, 25 Apr 2023, Max Pyziur wrote:

Greetings,

Upgrading F38 on my Dell XPS 13 laptop of something like 2012
vintage w a 1TB SSD, the scriplet/upgrade to setroubleshoot-server
is hanging.

Seems that it's been this way for a least 5-10 minutes while
everything before this has been running briskly.

Advice?

My upgrade halted. The computer shutdown.

I hit the start button,

the selection for kernels came up only showing F37 kernels.

I hit the latest F37 kernel,

I got a login screen with the new F38 screen.

I logged in. Browser tabs are restored. Wifi connection, though, goes
on and off.

I checked Postgresql installation; I have two version postgresql-14
(F37) and postgresql-15.

As best I can tell, the upgrade aborted leaving the system in, uh,
challenged state.

Any advice on how to proceed here would be greatly appreciated.

Did the fedora packages for f38 get installed?
fedora-release*
fedora-repos*

Thank you for your quick reply.

Using rpm -qa | grep -i fc38 | wc -l

I see that 4842 packages have been installed.

I watched the screen as it upgraded, and the package count was somewhere around 4842 when the scriplet to upgrade setroubleshoot-server started. (That's where the process hung).

Before you replied, I removed setroubleshoot-server from the laptop (dnf remove ...) and its related dependencies.

I then did
dnf upgrade --refresh

and then
dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=38 --allowerasing

I received the message:
Error:
Problem: The operation would result in removing the following protected packages: NetworkManager, dnf, grub2-tools-minimal, sudo, systemd, systemd-udev
(try to add '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages)

and then
dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=38 --allowerasing --skip-broken

which produced the following error message

Error:
Problem: The operation would result in removing the following protected packages: NetworkManager, dnf, grub2-tools-minimal, sudo, systemd, systemd-udev

I'm looking at your recommendations and now wondering how to proceed given that it seems I have probably about 4800+ packages that are both fc38 and fc37.

Any advice here would be great before I proceed to try something else.

Much thanks again.

Max

If they did, you can try a distro-sync using dnf
Distro-Sync Command
      Command: distro-sync
      Aliases: dsync
      Deprecated aliases: distrosync, distribution-synchronization

      dnf distro-sync [<package-spec>...]
             As  necessary  upgrades, downgrades or keeps selected
      installed packages to match the latest version available from
      any enabled repository. If no package is given, all installed
      packages are considered.

If it didn't, try restarting the sytem-upgrade process.  How resource
constrained is the laptop for memory.  I vaguely recall the minimum
required bumped to 2 GB because lower was causing problems.  There was
a discussion of minimum hardware requirements increasing, but I don't
think it went through.

If it still has problems, try manually downloading the fedora packages
from koji
https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=9
https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=18771
and installing them with  dnf -C
And then run manual dnf updates for only part of the install packages,
so that things are done in smaller batches than the full upgrade.
At the end, you could run distro-sync.