Re: Don't focus Firefox when clicking a link

On Thu, 20 Apr 2023 03:10:47 +0930
Tim via users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> stan:
> > I think this is a setting in the firefox settings.
> > edit -> settings -> General
> > and then look at the tabs section.
> > You probably have this setting selected;
> > When you open a link, image or media in a new tab, switch to it
> > immediately
>
> As far as I was aware, that would only change how clicking a link
> within the web-browser would work.  I've always had that setting
> unset, and for me it only affects Firefox's internal behaviour.
> I would expect there's some option in a command line to make a link
> open in the background, but I see nothing in the man page, and nothing
> jumps out at me from Firefox's about:config.

I did a search on this, and found this link,
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/links-open-background-firefox-chrome/
Warning, it is old, but the setting still exists.  It describes such
links as diverted links, and there is a setting in the about:config for
that.  Mine is set to false, but still doesn't change the behavior for
me.  The caveat is that once this is set, according to the article, even
links opened in the browser will be in the background.  That's what I
want, but someone else might not.

browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground	false

If this doesn't work, trying safe-mode,
/usr/bin/firefox --safe-mode
to disable all addons to see if that is a cause.
Or
/usr/bin/firefox --new-instance --Profile-Manager
to set up a completely new test profile.

I also have my browser in its own workspace, so that might be why.  And
I am running X with lxqt or lxde, another big difference.  Yet more,
I'm running the latest alpha of firefox, nightly.  All in all, I might
not be a good candidate for investigating this.