Re: where to submit a bug against "xv"? [SOLVED]

On 3/15/23 10:49 AM, home user wrote:
On 3/15/23 10:16 AM, home user wrote:
"xv" does not handle "webp" images.  I do not see "xv" in the Redhat bugzilla menu of components.  Where do I submit a bug against xv?

(Luna)
For compilation help, bug reports, or other technical matters, contact
xvtech@xxxxxxxxxx

I did as Luna suggested.  The message did not bounce.  A faint sign of hope?

(Todd)
Running 'rpm -qi xv' or 'dnf info xv' shows that package
comes from rpmfusion-nonfree.

I saw that.  But how do I submit a bug against something in rpmfusion-nonfree?
(apparently not via Redhat bugzilla)
I did not realize that the "20070520" in the dnf output was a date.
I also see in "dnf history" that xv was updated on my workstation in October when I did my last upgrade.

You're probably correct, but I hope you're wrong!  I've been using xv for decades, and I like it.  It does what I want, and it's easy.

(responding to a few posts)

I finally have a few minutes for this.

My actual "use case":
1. launch xv on a screen capture, usually a "png", occasionally and "jpeg" or "webp".  These always come from the internet; I have no choice of the image's format.
2. crop the image down to what I want.  xv usually handles this easily and very well, but there are exceptions.
3. save the result as either a "png" or a "jpeg" image.

You can see why I want xv to handle "webp".

(Samuel, where to submit a rpmfusion-nonfree bug)

https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/

Thank-you.

(Samuel)
You might want to check out the "display" command from ImageMagick or "gm display" from GraphicsMagick.

(Stan and Mike)
Another possibility is qiv.  I'm not sure if I've used it on webp, but
I haven't had any failure to display an image.

[Mike reported that qiv does not handle webp.]

[Stan noted solutions from askubantu.com]

[Stan reported that webp support has been added to qiv, but that enhancement hasn't yet made it to Fedora.]

Thank-you.  Those will do the conversion.  It would be better if I could have a single graphical tool to load, display, edit, and then save in the desired format images of any format.  Assuming x11 will eventually be sunset, and assuming xv won't work in wayland, I'm gonna hafta learn something else.  gimp seems to be the best candidate.  gimp is powerful, but that makes it difficult to learn and use.

By the way, does xv work properly in wayland?  How about xeyes?

The question for which I opened this thread is answered, so I marked this thread SOLVED.  I thank everyone who tried to help.

Bill.