Re: how to create a Fedora 37 LiveCD without a desktop environment and with window manager

On Tue, 21 Feb 2023 16:56:13 -0600
Ranjan Maitra <mlmaitra@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have been trying to build a LiveCD with a DE and with a window
> manager. Specifically, I was thinking that I could have startx go
> into starting the window manager. However, I can not quite figure out
> how to handle this. Does anyone have experience with doing this?
>
> The notes available on LiveCD at
> https://github.com/livecd-tools/livecd-tools only discuss a minimal
> LiveCD or a full-fledged one, and indeed the minimal configuration
> there does not even do anything (I only get Troubleshoot). But in any
> case, that is not the point.
>
> Any suggestions on how I can use startx instead of a login display
> manager?

There is no login display manager.  The minimal server install, the
smaller one, boots into multiuser (the old runlevel 3).  From there it
is possible to run a script to start X.  My system boots to multiuser
on boot.  I then run the following to start LXDE, after logging into a
virtual console, usually vt1.

echo 'exec startlxde' >> $XCLIENTS
sleep 3
startx -- vt10

This starts LXDE on virtual terminal 10, leaving the output of X on
virtual terminal 1, where I usually first login.

There are similar commands for the other desktops.  I have them all in
a script, sort of a manual greeter.  When I log out of X I return to the
virtual console I started X from.

Since KDE and Gnome are now pretty much wayland only, I'm not sure how
well the script works for them.  I suppose I should run through and
test everything, as invocations sometimes change, especially at branch
time for a new fedora version.  The way to determine the actual command
that is being run to start the various desktops is to download the
source for one of the actual graphical greeters (login managers), and
check how it invokes the desktop.