Re: Adobe Acrobat Can't Find the pdf File When Trying to Display an Email Attachment in Thunderbird Daily [Resolved]

On 5/2/23 11:26, Stephen Morris wrote:
Hi,
    I have Adobe Acrobat Reader DC installed in F37 via Snap. When I click on a pdf attachment in Thunderbird Daily I get a prompt asking if I want to view it in the Ocular default or save the attachment. If I click "OK" to display it in Ocular it displays fine.     When I click on the Drop Down in the prompt and select "Other" to display the pdf in something other than Ocular I am not shown Acrobat in the list, but if I look at "KDE System Settings->Applications->File Associations->application->pdf" Adobe Acrobat is shown as the third entry in the list of applications. If I move Adobe Acrobat to the top then the prompt from Thunderbird shows Adobe Acrobat as the default as expected.     With the prompt now asking if I want to view the pdf in Acrobat, if I click on "OK" Acrobat is launched but produced the error "There was an error opening this document. This file cannot be found".  If I edit the pdf association entry for Acrobat and add "%U" into the empty Arguments text box, in the same way it is specified for the Ocular entry, Acrobat still produces the error message that it can't find the file.     Has the snap process not installed Acrobat correctly, or is the file argument for Acrobat not "%U", or is there something else at play here?

regards,
Steve
It seems as though the reason the attachment does not appear to be passed into Acrobat is the version that snap installs is the Windows version of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. I found on the net a methodology to install a 32-bit linux version of Acrobat Reader 9.5.5 into Fedora 33/34 which works for installing that version into F37. Even though with this install  the mimetype association doesn't specify any arguments for the filename like the one for Okular does, both of the two mimetype attachments get passed into Acrobat for viewing quite happily. So now I can use the Acrobat Reader 9 association for accessing pdf attachments in emails and the Acrobat Reader DC app for saved pdf's if I need the extra functionality that it provides.

regards,
Steve