Re: Grubby? Doesn't Load Initrd

On 7/1/23 23:33, Jonathan Billings wrote:

On Jan 7, 2023, at 02:44, Tim via users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sat, 2023-01-07 at 14:36 +1100, Stephen Morris wrote:
I've just done an update which installed kernel 6.0.16 and I forgot
to run grub2-mkconfig, and when I booted from the grub menu's defined in
/boot/grub2/grub.cfg presumably updated by grubby, it did not run
initrd, the grub.cfg file generated by grub2-mkconfig does run initrd.
I have to ask, since I see a lot of grubby posts (pun intended):

I've *NEVER* run grub2-mkconfig.  I've always just yum/dnf update (do
all current updates), or just dnf update kernel (if I wanted to
specifically just do that), and it's always installed the new kernel
properly all by itself.  No further action was required by me.

What are people doing to their systems that they paint themselves into
a corner that they have to manually manage this, then have to pick up
the pieces when it doesn't work?
You should never need to run grub2-mkconfig after each kernel update. The only reason I can guess at is that they ran it to overwrite the file in /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/ (which is normally a stub that loads the default file in /boot/grub2/) and now they have to manually run it each time.

Normally, the only reason you’d run it is if you changed a variable in /etc/default/grub. Grubby just creates new bootloaderspec files in /boot/loader.

Also, I don’t believe grubby creates new initrd files, that’s handled by the kernel post install scripts. (Which also calls grubby).
As I replied in the mail response to Tim's mail, traditionally grubby has not honoured all the settings in /etc/default/grub, particularly the sub-menu options, hence I've always run grub2-mkconfig to build /boot/grub2/grub.cfg, which from what I have read is what grub in F37 boots from (that documentation also recommended to not run grub2-mkconfig but I still do. I seem to also remember that grubby ignore the resolution settings as well. The resolution settings are a mute point as a result of the recent updates done to grub to resolve the font security hole in grub, as statements to set the boot resolution and the gfxterm are now ignore by the fixed logic).

regards,
Steve

--
Jonathan Billings