Re: Tip: how to make your own resolv.conf

On 12/19/22 17:39, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 12/19/22 17:05, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
On 12/19/22 16:02, Tim via users wrote:
Jonathan Billings:
If you are using systemd-resolved, then /etc/resolv.conf should
simply have "nameserver 127.0.0.53"

ToddAndMargo:
It puts it there and things ago foo bar

There's your new hostname, fubar-a-go-go...  ;-)

But being serious, I did start looking through the man files for the
new networking schemes (man systemd-resolved).  And supposedly,
/etc/resolv.conf is a link to /run/systemd/resolve/stub-resolv.conf
And when it is, it controls the file its linked to.

If you unlink the file, and edit your /etc/resolv.conf, systemd-
resolved should leave it alone, and you could could manually adjust it.
Of course, something else could, now, edit /etc/resolv.conf.

The DNS server data that comes from the DHCP daemon ends up in
/run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf (note the different filename), and
systemd-resolved is using that information in conjunction with what it
provides to the traditional /etc/resolve.conf file.

It is all a bit of a maze, and I don't really see how this was an
improvement on the previous methodology.

Likewise with network configuration.  If the previous config files
actually did the job, why didn't they keep on using them, and just
update the tools that set them up?

NB:  My Fedora 36 installation works as it came out of the box, so to
speak.  DHCPD on my CentOS server is configuring the network as
I expect.  The F36 does go through its own DNS maze, but is making use
of my BIND DNS server on CentOS.  And mDNS does work for the three
other things on my LAN that make use of it.  But I'm not using VPNs, or
multi-port networking cards.

But I'd say, start by looking at man systemd-resolved and noodling your
way through the things it mentions in there.

I changed the link to point elsewhere.   I
did not try unlinking it.  I was suspicious that
however was changing things would discover and
recreate it

I guess I am lucky that whoever has not discovered
my shenanigans.  Next dnf it probably will.  I
will be ready for it.

Maybe you should read the section on /etc/resolv.conf in "man systemd-resolved".

I will eventually. I am going to look at

    NetworkManager-initscripts-ifcfg-rh.x86_64, and
    nmcli connection migrate

Right now I have to get passive ftp working again.