Re: Tip: how to make your own resolv.conf

On 12/19/22 16:29, Chris Adams wrote:
Once upon a time, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
But being serious, I did start looking through the man files for the
new networking schemes (man systemd-resolved).  And supposedly,
/etc/resolv.conf is a link to /run/systemd/resolve/stub-resolv.conf
And when it is, it controls the file its linked to.

Yeah, if you just edit /etc/resolv.conf without reading it (leaving it a
symlink to /run), your edits will get lost.  All you have to do is
remove the symlink and replace it with a file, and systemd-resolved will
stop touching it (again, as documented in the file).  It's not some
mystery, or difficult problem to solve, if you read the comments and
referenced documentation.

It is all a bit of a maze, and I don't really see how this was an
improvement on the previous methodology.

A single system-wide resolv.conf cannot handle more complicated setups,
such as a VPN where lookups for certain domains should be sent to a
server across the VPN.  You have to run some form of local DNS server to
handle that (which could be BIND, Unbound, dnsmasq, etc.).  Each of
those have their own configuration quirks that can make it more
complicated to programmatically manage, so systemd-resolved was created.

I have open vpn installed. It communicates through a network bridge and the old ifcfg files.

I have not used it in a while, as open vpn for Windows
is corked on Windows 10 and 11.  I gave up on it.
I did a bug report on it, but they never fixed it.

I'm not entirely satisfied with systemd-resolved, but it solves things
for a majority of cases.

Likewise with network configuration.  If the previous config files
actually did the job, why didn't they keep on using them, and just
update the tools that set them up?

The previous ifcfg files had many quirks, starting from being created as
shell variable lists to feed to bash scripts for network config.  They
were also specific to Red Hat Linux derived OSes (e.g. Fedora, RHEL,
CentOS, etc.).  NetworkManager was created to solve multiple things, one
of which was standardizing network configuration across distributions.

The NM plugin to support the RHL-style ifcfg files has been there as a
backwards-compatibility wedge, but it was time to move on from using
that by default (and deprecate the old network-scripts pile of shell
code).

Maybe some day when I have a ton of time to waste,
I will try to get the official way to work.