Re: F37 XFCE bell – where to turn it off

On 11/26/22 4:09 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Doug H. writes:

On Sat, Nov 26, 2022, at 4:15 AM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> This seems to be /usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo/bell.oga

That might be configured via:
/etc/pulse/default.pa

Mine has:
load-sample-lazy x11-bell /usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo/bell.oga
load-module module-x11-bell sample=x11-bell

/etc/pulse/default.pa does not exist here.

I'll think about creating one, and seeing if it makes any difference.

[Three weeks later...]

Now that Fedora 35 has reached EOL, I've upgraded from Fedora 35 -> 36. This introduced me to the issue raised in this thread.

I occasionally like to get an audible notification when a long-running command finishes so I had been using Pulseaudio's 'module-x11-bell'. This plays an audio file such as a WAV file when an X11 bell event occurs. This sounds a lot nicer than a built-in beeper, plus it is necessary when using a PC that lacks the built-in beeper. Recently pipewire introduced compatibility support for this module so I've been using it since then.

However, now that Fedora 36 has come along, I experience this behavior:

1. The first time I log in after a reboot, there are _two_ sounds played for every beep: the sound I loaded for module-x11-bell plus a second sound that's configured in the dconf settings tree. Nothing I've tried will eliminate the second sound: disabling XFCE4 event sounds (Settings / Appearance / Settings), disabling sound in the dconf tree (org.gnome.desktop.sound), etc.. 2. If I log out of XFCE4 and log back in, the second sound no longer plays, regardless of whether event sounds are enabled or disabled in the ways I reference above. 3. (2) persists with all subsequent XFCE4 logins until I reboot the system, then I go back to (1). If I don't load module-x11-bell, I get one sound for each beep event if it's the first login and no sound for all subsequent logins. 4. If, when I log out, I kill the sound-related daemons (pipewire, wireplumber, and pipewire-pulse), the behavior for every single login is the same as described in (1) above. This suggests that the bell sound is being set up by one of these three daemons in such a way that it works for just one login.

As others have noted, muting System Sounds spares me from these sounds, but at the cost of muting other sounds I'd like to be able to hear (e.g., Thunderbird new mail notifications).

Right now I've settled on this solution:

1. Don't bother loading module-x11-bell.
2. Kill the sound-related daemons at logout using a script:

#!/bin/sh

killall pipewire wireplumber pipewire-pulse

I told XFCE to run the script at logout by adding it using Settings / Session and Startup / Application Autostart as an "at logout" trigger.

It still seems wrong that the bell sound is forced on me regardless of XFCE event sounds being off, but this approach at least makes the behavior consistent across all login sessions: one sound for each bell event.

I hardly know anything about pipewire & wireplumber so I'll have to do some research before I can pinpoint what exactly is causing these sounds to be played.

Dave