Re: How do I identify a bluetooth device in bluetooth add device?

On Tue, 2022-12-13 at 09:43 +1100, Stephen Morris wrote:
> I have a pair of "water dancing" bluetooth speakers that I am
> trying to get working under F37, I had these working in fedora quite
> some time ago and I've forgotten how I got them working. I've gone into
> the bluetooth interface in KDE's system settings and clicked on add
> device, which then went searching for bluetooth devices it could see,
> but all the devices it showed except for one looked like they were mac
> addresses. How do I determine which of those is the speakers (if any)
> when the plate on the bottom of the main speaker doesn't show a mac address?

I have just gone through this kind of pallaver trying to identify what
the various MAC addresses refer to on my router and phone.  I can only
hope that some of the unknown historically listed things are things
that I've connected to in the past, rather than rogue things that have
connected to me.

I've been playing with internet-of-things, or smart devices, lately.
Hooking up door reed sensors, remote controlled lamps and lamp sockets.

After managing to identify everything, which was a hell of a lot of
mucking around.  All the gadgets I can get my hands on have been
labelled with their manufacturer's device name and MAC, in writing that
I can read without needing a magnifying glass.  And the things I can't
reach without getting a ladder out have been noted down on paper and
computer file.

It took ages to find out that one rogue WiFi device was a smart TV.  It
offers itself as an access point for screen mirroring, though not in a
way that's chromecast compatible, or compatible with any apps on my
phone that I'd rather watch on a large screen (grr, sodding competing
standards).

There's still one rogue device (I can't remember, now, if it was WiFi
or Bluetooth) that's available all over the house at the same power
level.  If I wander around with a RF sensing app on the phone, it's
everywhere.  It's non-connectible, and just shows a MAC.

I've gone around unplugging everything, but it's still there.
I think I even turned off the power to the house, too.  Surely it can't
be a neighbour's device?  The power level would have changed while
walking around.

It doesn't help that the detecting app has decided not to work in real
time, any more.  You used to be able to wander around and listen to the
beeping change, like you were using a bug detector in a spy movie.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.80.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Nov 8 15:48:59 UTC 2022 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.