Re: Cockpit as root

> Am 10.12.2022 um 05:40 schrieb Emmett Culley via users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> On 12/9/22 11:07 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
>> On 12/09/2022 10:50 AM, Emmett Culley via users wrote:
>>>>
>>> Yes, I can see root log in disabled by default.  How to I enable root login?
>> Root login is disabled because the account doesn't have a password.  You can give it one during install, but it isn't required, so most people never realize that they can do that.  As I prefer su to sudo, I always do.  To correct that without reinstalling, run this:
>> sudo passwd
>> which will you to change (or in this case set) the root password.  Once that's done you, and anybody else who knows it can become root.
>
> I log in to that workstation many times each day as root.  I always create a root password when I create a new machine.
>
> I am asking how do I enable root login for cockpit. I do not want to use sudo.  I suppose it may be a KDE plasma issue as I see "Fedora Linux KDE Plasma" in the header of the login dialog.  So how do I enable login to plasma as root?
>
> This particular server is the first time I used Fedora instead of CentOS or some other Red Hat derivative.  This server was actually first created with Fedora 28, and I just converted it to use as a gateway after upgrading to Fedora 36 (via 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 and 35.  Before this I rarely logged into plasma as root, but on occasion I did, and is was successful, then.  What has changed and how do I fix it?

I’m puzzled. If you see „KDE Plasma“ on the login screen, you are logging in to your workstation, either directly via console or ssh. There is no Cockpit involved.

You use Cockpit usually to login to Fedora Server, and there is (usually) no Plasma involved, because Server comes without any graphical interface. To enable root login via Cockpit for your server, you must first login on the server as the current server-user with admin privileges, and use sudo passwd one time in the terminal to set a root password (on the server). After that you can permanently log in to the server directly as root. To be able to login to your server it doesn’t matter how you are logged on your workstation.

--
Peter Boy
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pboy

Timezone: CET (UTC+1) / CEST (UTC+2)

Fedora Server Edition Working Group member
Fedora docs team contributor
Java developer and enthusiast