Re: Are Meta/Facebook servers using Fedora Linux?

On Tue, Dec 6, 2022 at 7:04 PM Jonathan Billings <billings@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2022, at 08:27, Jeffrey Walton <noloader@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I often recommend Fedora Server anytime I see folks using RHEL or
> > CentOS. I don't understand why organizations run that antique software
> > that is no longer in development. Fedora provides modern software and
> > is in active development with continuous bug fixes.
>
> > The "in active development" part is important. Old versions of
> > software and kernels just accumulate more unfixed bugs over time. Most
> > developers don't spend time on old versions of software, so the known
> > bugs don't get fixed. Adversaries love that property of old software.
>
> That a pretty ignorant view of RHEL/CentOS.

I don't believe it's as ignorant as you think. Unfortunately, it's the
reality of the situation.

> Red Hat backports known bug fixes to the software in RHEL. It also has modules that are updated at a faster cadence, too.

The keyword is "known". Developers don't work on 5 or 10 year old
software. Existing bugs don't get uncovered and fixed. They don't
become "known", so they don't get backported and fixed.

That's exactly the point Greg HK makes at
https://thenewstack.io/design-system-can-update-greg-kroah-hartman-linux-security/
. No one is working on old kernels. Problems in old kernels are going
to remain latent and unfixed. Kernel developers and Red Hat may
backport an occasional fix, but they are not fixing all the problems.

The same thing happens in userland. I help maintain several projects,
and contribute to many others. None of those projects concern
themselves with 5 or 10 year old software. The problems in old
software remain unfixed.

The way to avoid the problems is to use something that's being
actively developed. That's what Greg HK is telling us. Fedora makes it
especially easy to use software that is being actively developed
because Fedora usually packages the current release of whatever is
going into the package.

And dnf-system-upgrade every 6 months is a small price to pay for
Fedora (https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/dnf-system-upgrade/).
You get Red Hat processes and stability with modern software. Its a
win-win.

Jeff