Re: Are Meta/Facebook servers using Fedora Linux?

If you aren't buying support from the OS distributor and/or the application developer (and the app developer providing the support will only support the enterprise releases) then it makes little sense to use the "enterprise" variant.

If you have to stay up on patches then the enterprise OSes might have some value if you were not committed to keeping fedora on a version still getting updates.

If you aren't paying for support and/or you are providing all of the support internally, then you might as well be on one of the Fedora like leading edge distributions with all the new features.

On Tue, Dec 6, 2022 at 7:27 AM Jeffrey Walton <noloader@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 6, 2022 at 7:56 AM Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming
<tdtemccnp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Subject: Are Meta/Facebook servers using Fedora Linux?
>
> Good day from Singapore,
>
> I have just come across this article.
>
> Article: Fedora's FESCo Rejects The Idea Of "-fno-omit-frame-pointer"
> As Default Compiler Flag
> Link: https://www.phoronix.com/news/Fedora-Rejects-No-Omit-FP
>
> [QUOTE]
>
> As a change proposal first initiated by Meta/Facebook developers, they
> wanted -fno-omit-frame-pointer and -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer to be
> added to the default C/C++ compilation flags.
>
> ...snipped...
>
> Meta engineers believe that any performance cost is small and worth it
> while SUSE engineers previously cited around possible 5~10%
> regressions.
>
> [/QUOTE]
>
> From the above quotes, I thought that Meta/Facebook servers are using
> Fedora Linux, or at least Linux servers.
>
> Anyone can confirm?

I don't have first hand knowledge of Meta, but I have a fair amount of
enterprise experience. A large enterprise will have a large number of
technology stacks. It will look like the wild, wild west. They will
likely allow Fedora, in addition to other distros like Alpine, Debian,
the BSDs and Ubuntu. And they will also allow a heap of developmental
languages.

I often recommend Fedora Server anytime I see folks using RHEL or
CentOS. I don't understand why organizations run that antique software
that is no longer in development. Fedora provides modern software and
is in active development with continuous bug fixes.

The "in active development" part is important. Old versions of
software and kernels just accumulate more unfixed bugs over time. Most
developers don't spend time on old versions of software, so the known
bugs don't get fixed. Adversaries love that property of old software.
https://thenewstack.io/design-system-can-update-greg-kroah-hartman-linux-security/
.

I eat my own dog food. I run Fedora Servers at my house.

Jeff