Re: Backup data from Firefox

Andreas Fournier:
>> I know about it but I would like to keep my data out of the cloud
>> and only on my own machines.

Jeffrey Walton:
> +1. This is why I don't use the feature.
>
> I would use it if Firefox allowed me to specify a machine within my
> network. Firefox could even use my OpenStack installation, if it
> wishes.

Likewise.  If I want to duplicate a Firefox install, I can horse around
with their export to a file feature, and find that it doesn't include
something I want exporting (just trying to backup the bookmarks proved
to be a pain), or duplicate the entire .mozilla configuration
directory, hoping that it's compatible with the other browser (it
should be for a duplication to the same browser on the same OS, or
slightly newer browser version).

I have a number of things that'd like to put my data on their cloud,
and only a few that have a way to locally store things.  Naturally, you
have to pay for many of those things, and none of them are on the same
cloud service, either.

I've often wondered if I could play with fake DNS records or IP
forwarding tricks, and let them think that they're connecting to their
hardcoded addresses for its cloud server when its actually connecting
to something of my own choosing.

We have an OS that's excellent at running servers.  Many of us have a
24/7 running Linux machine as a local server.  Using it as a dumb
client reliant on WWW servers is a waste.

--

NB:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
I will only get to see the messages that are posted to the list.

The following system info data is generated fresh for each post:

uname -rsvp
Linux 5.19.15-201.fc36.x86_64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu Oct 13
18:58:38 UTC 2022 x86_64