Re: qt6 and vtk

On 11/23/22 20:05, Barry Scott wrote:

On 23 Nov 2022, at 16:55, Theodore Papadopoulo <Theodore.Papadopoulo@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

     Is there a way to use vtk and qt6 together in fedora (36 in my case) ?
Currently vtk-qt.x86-64 links with qt5 libraries, so anything that links with
one of the libraries it provides and qt6 is problematic (well I do not even pass
the cmake configury step as cmake errors on the mix of Qt5 and Qt6 libraries).

I understand that for now Qt5 and Qt6 are coexisting, but would there be a way to extend
this coexistence to vtk-qt ?? This would definitely ease the migration path from Qt5 to Qt6.
   Thank's for any clue on how to achieve this (of course I can recompile vtk locally, but I'd like to avoid that if possible).
There are source code differences between qt5 and qt6.
vtk will need to be ported to qt6.
The Qt6 support has been merged one year ago.

https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/-/merge_requests/7483

Qt6 support is mentioned in the release notes of Vtk 9.1.0 which is the version currently packaged in fedora. So this
should not be a problem.

I have colleagues that have made a fully functional vtk+Qt6 environment by recompiling everything, so the port
seems functional.

Everything seems to have been done in fedora to help for a smooth transition (by allowing parallel installation of QT5 and Qt6). It is a little bit a pity that this effort is not fully completed by not having the vtk part added.

Am I right in assuming you are have not programmed with Qt?

I do not know why you assume that. It is the opposite. I'm mostly doing Qt programming.
vtk is just a new add-on that was added to the code base.
We have started migrating to Qt6 and the less time I have to maintain both versions, the better.

Given that qt5 and qt6 libs are installed why do you care which ones are used by vtk?
We actually need of some media extensions that were introduced with that version, so requiriing
Qt5 just for a small vtk part is actually a burden.

    Theo.